Old 06-08-2006   #1
, Colorado
Upper Boulder Creek -

How is Upper Boulder Creek right now (Doherty park down)? Is 200 enough to float it?

IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #2
, Colorado
Bump - sorry, I'm leaving soon so i thought I'd give it one last shot.

Old 06-08-2006   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not really sure where Doherty park is, but 200 is still bony but ok. It's been floated WAY lower. You might consider just putting on at Elephant rock and saving the wear and tear from launching at 4 mile.

It starts to get filled in and padded out above 350 I think.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #4
Not sure above four mile, but from there down, you can get down at this level. It is actually harder now then it is from 250-350 (lots of last minute rock dodging...except Buttress rapid which is pretty much cake at this level)

Dave's right though, 350 is nice. Dave, care to give more detail of your high water Buttress run in a play boat last year?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #5
, Colorado
Thanks for the info guys. It was definately scrappy and my boat is about two pounds lighter, but it was still fun. We put in at Doherty as the book recommends, but next time I will put in at 4 mile and just run it twice...above that was pretty boring at this level, plus we portaged the culvert at the Red Lion. Being only two of us, both in play boats, who've never run it, we decided to walk Buttress. It looked fun, but from the angle we were scouting one section looked like it had great pin potential and we couldn't see what was after that without trespassing, and it would be difficult for one person to rescue or chase gear if somethinig went wrong with the other. When we were shouldering it on the other side it looked like a much easier move and the rapid was pretty much over after that. We were kicking ourselves for not running it, but it will be there for us next time. On the plus side, there was some very nice scenery jogging by during the portage. I love summertime in Boulder

Just as a heads up, there were a couple of river wide trees, both in relatively mellow sections and were easy to spot. One was easy to go under on the left and was very obvious to see, the other was easy to go over. At higher water, I think the one we went under would need to be portaged as I barely fit under it at this level (had to push down off the tree to keep my face from smacking it), and it does have some branches sticking out. I'm not sure if these have been in there forever, since that was the only time I've run it, but figuired I'd throw it out there incase they are new.

Old 06-09-2006   #6
Clinton, I might be up there this weekend, post relpy if you want to do 4 mile down again. Flow may be up a bit by then.

De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #7
, Colorado
I might be able to go on Sunday...I'll be on the Poudre Saturday.

Call me Saturday night if that works for you, and I'll know for sure by then if I'm free.

Old 06-09-2006   #8
The buttress section is the run... at least the class 4 of the run after the series of narrow drops it mellows out to wave trains and is fairly easy to recover gear if needed... then you are at the play park
thedude1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #9
Ran it Weds. 203 cfs at Orodell,adequate flow,Buttress fine,fun.It's already up 50 cfs this morning{Fri.}that river wide log is not far down from the end of bike path put in{Four Mile?}after the bridge,it is luckily easy to spot and portage,we limboed it put that won't be possible with much more water.You can scout Buttress without tresspassing on the road side/river right.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek