Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-31-2004   #21
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I just spoke to the Dillion ranger dist. I was told that you have to put in at Hammer (sp) Bridge and take out at Columbine Landing. He told me you can not go further down due to obstructions in the river requiring portages on private land. After talking with him further, he did not sound to convincing. It was more like he was trying to discourage paddling through the private property?

I also spoke with an old timer who said you can run the whole section, but you need to be alert for diversions and possible river wide strainers. Not sure if this section is even worth paddling, but I would mind floating the whole thing because I have never done it and I would like to have a longer run then three miles? Any further thoughts?

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #22
that's kinda my take on the "discouragement", I might be up for trying it, especially if my group ends up camping at the actual res!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #23
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
A long time ago (8 years?) I floated a good ways down, almost to the second highway bridge from Silverthorne-within a few miles of Green Mountain. I can't remember if that takeout had a name; I believe it's a fisherman's access of some kind. Anyway, it wasn't anything to write home about- pretty slow, and I think the water was closer to 1000. I can't recall any major obstacles, but I would recommend just doing the upper section twice instead.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #24
I'm a newbie to the area, (so be gentle) wondering how the Blue compares to the Main fork of the Payette in Idaho? Anyone out there done both? I've done both the Cabarton stretch and the Main.

Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #25
The Blue will be more technical than either the North (Cabarton) or Main Payette. The water will also be way, way lower. It's a smaller volume river when compared to the Payette - North, South or Main.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #26
To me the float below the bridge is not worht it at the water we will see. Do the canyon section twice or more if you want easier water do the lower or pump house. Causing a potenial issue over marginal class II water is probably not a good idea. But do what you want I am not your mother. As far as comparisons to the payette. It will be more technical but smaller waves and hydrolics if you came out you would get pretty bruised but it is just class III. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #27
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Comparison please...

I think my post from Friday kinda got buried... could somebody give a comparison of this run to other runs in CO? I've done the Lower Blue, Bridges on the Poudre, Shoshone, Boulder Creek (thru town) all successfully. Also, did Foxton at 350 and got pushed around a bit too much for my liking. Thoughts on my probability for success?

Apologize for posting twice, but would really like the info.

Thanks all!
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #28
pnw, Washington
They are saying that this is IV-, if you didnt like the way Foxton was then this will be worse.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #29
Agreed, if you didn't like Foxton you won't like the heart of this run where Boulder Creek comes in from river left. Lots of action.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #30
Upper Blue Scoutable?

Can you scout the section near Boulder Creek in the Upper Blue section? Any significant hazards? What is this section comprable to on the Arkansas or the Poudre?

JD is offline   Reply With Quote