Old 07-23-2006   #11
loveland, Colorado
inner tubes

Inner tube class is restricted to those with terminal cancer who have been told by their docter that they have less than 6 months to live.

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts

I am standing in for Charlie Ebel this year in the safety region of the Gore Race. I need as many folks as I can get to help us out! Ideally, a couple of rafts, kayakers, and shore support would be key. For all rapids except river left at Kiurschbaum's, you will need to be able to paddle yourself down.

In addition to the usual swag, Keen footwear has been kind onough to provide their new river bootiy for all folks working on the Safety Crew. The catch is that in order for you to get some (booties), I need to have a definite answer prior to August 4th (next week).

If you have any questions, please contact me via:

Thanks, ahead of time, for your help!

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #13
Matty S, check your email.

Gotta top last year's party, so you know what I've got planned for Saturday night this go around..... Hopefully the rangers stay away, and a fire ban doesn't get imposed....

40cal.glockboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Re: Inner Tubes

Originally Posted by jerrycurl
Is there really an inner tube class?
I boat with one of these guys - they are real deal class V boaters/tubers. Both of them completed the race last year, and actually beat a creature craft downriver. The guy I am friends with was a solid kayaker first. They have tubed Gore, Black rock (including Rigor Mortis), Big South, and a bunch of other stuff. Yeah everybody thinks that they are crazy, but there is also a group out in Cali that is running similar and bigger stuff. The Colorado boys aren't competing this year, but maybe the Cali crew will show up.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #15
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Just to up the sweetness of the kayak prizes, I am offering up two brand new Nomads to the FASTEST OVERALL woman and man. They will each walk away with a brand new Dagger Nomad.

And they won't have to wait on them to be shipped. I will bring them straight to the awards ceremony.
The winners of the "Core of the Gore" will paddle away in a new creeker.
So get to training, the race is only a few weeks away!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #16
dropzone, Colorado
Isn't the fastest overall likely to go to someone paddling a wildwater boat or wavehopper? Also, what is up with the race format, it seems like only having two classes for kayaks will mean that the aforementioned types of boats will have a significant edge in the "over 8.1 feet" class.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #17
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
No, not really faster. One would think that. Look at last years results. #1 man overall was Jed Selby in a Diesel in 22min 23 seconds. Mike Pagel was the fastest in the long boats and his time was 22 min. 57seconds. The long boat got beat by 34 seconds. On the same note, I paddled a Response and Jed still won by nearly 5 seconds. Behind me was Brett and by less then a second. He was in a Rocker. Way shorter then a Response. As for women, from what I can tell there was one division and three women in it.
As for lengths this year, I have yet to look at them. But truly the winner is the fastest person down the canyon. Also, wavehopper and wildwater paddlers generally don't paddle them full time. If they did happen to win, im sure they could use a new creek boat. On a side note, how would you do it? What would be best for the racers? I’m sure Mark has open ears as the race is still a few weeks away. Im game for whatever. Just looking forward to a great time!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #18
I like <7, 7-11 or 10, and >11 or 10 this way people who like to playboat gore can race, the creek boats can race and the big boats can race. Last year not enough payboats entered but I know a couple more who will enter this year. Without this designation why would anyone race a playboat but it would still be fun.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #19
Steamboat, Colorado
Updated event poster:

To visit the event's official web site, go to:
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #20
I've heard some rumors of a Hooligan-esque race. Is this true? Can we put together an obnoxious floating thing and take it down pumphouse? Need to know so we can start re-building our Fibark craft...

mlaire is offline   Reply With Quote