Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-15-2007   #21
I'm going to go ahead and say that the new flows are sweet. I prefer them organized by drainage or region, but I think it is awesome that it tells you the difficulty of the run and you can get a link to a description with photos. Phateye flows didn't even really tell you what run the guage was for, and the ones they did were only class 3 runs since it wasn't updated since Chris Webster ran them in his Dancer. Eddyflower's flows are much more updated with new guages and new runs. Nice work Paul. Organize it by drainage though you douche bag.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #22
Golden, Colorado
Yeah, What Nick said. Overall I think it's a big improvement. It just needs to be sorted by drainage.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #23
Denver, Colorado
We added a drainage column and sorted the flows by drainage just to see what everyone thinks.

Things to consider...post your opinions.
1. Remove runs that have visual gauges?
2. Go back to a more classic look...a few cons to this but very doable?
3. Add a 3 day running average, need specifics on this.
4. Rename eddyflower to Bad Ass N...
5. Add New Mexico runs...no problem, we can add as many runs as you guys want.

Any other suggestions?
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #24
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I like what you've got here, Paul. One thing I liked with the old setup (just for aesthetic and ease of use purposes) that you don't have is the visual separation between drainages (there was that grey bar across the page between every drainage).

1.I think that removing the visual gauge runs is a good idea but I think it would be even cooler if people (or only certain designated people) could go in and post the current level, along with the date observed for any of these runs. Kind of a Rock Report style setup.

2.I like the new look (and it would be even better with the graphical separation of drainages, as mentioned above). Personally, I don't think you need to change it back to the old style.

3.The 3 day running average is kind of a neat idea and I like it but I would be concerned that it would crowd and confuse the page.

4.I second the motion to rename EddyFlower Bad Ass Niggas on the River.

5.Definately add at least the classic Northern New Mexico runs. I'd also like to see a couple of the Southern Wyoming runs (Bluegrass, etc.) added.

I think having the ability to also sort runs by flow/level is an awesome idea, too. All in all, I like the new Flows page (having run description links on with the flows is awesome) and I can't wait to be using this spring.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #25
That is good feedback. I'm the one who'll be making the changes to eddyflower and I appreciate these detailed responses.

A few questions if you don't mind clarifying...

Drainage Separator Bars
These would only be visible when sorting by drainage and would disappear when you manually sort on anything else by clicking a column header? Do you mean completely remove the ability to sort manually by adding fixed drainage sections?

Grouping Runs by Gauge
In looking through the data we have on file, I found examples where there are some runs that use the same gauge where a 'low' level on one run might be a 'too low' level on another run. (even though the same amount of water is flowing through both) Lower East and Early Bird Falls on the East River are good examples of this. What would you picture doing with the 'level' indicator in this situation?
natebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Are you making a flows page that will be separate from the eddyflower river info page? If so, deleting the visual gauges, and keeping only the number of guages needed to figure our whats happening to the main runs like the old one is the trick. In my opinion, the old flows page was the best that I have run across on the internet. Short, sweet, to the point, just what you need, and I know where to go digging for USGS data when I want more.

One other wish is to figure out a way to get the poudre rock report email to be auto-updated on the flows page. Gauge height would be great.

Why not have an old style flows page for just flows and then link the "runs" for each section of river to the eddyflower page for river runs.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #27
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I like it. Only a few suggestions/comments.

Make the actual gauge link a small icon instead of the gauge name. It takes up too much space.

Make the flow column larger text so it is easier to see the actual CFS numbers.

When you mouse over the level indicator column (far right), it's kind of annoying that the level definitions pop up all the time.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #28
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Gotta say that I love it.....really looking forward to seeing the right side light up with some color. Filtering is kick ass.

One suggestion that I believe was already mentioned. A space or "bar" between rivers (for ex. One blank line btwn the last Ark. and the first Poudre). I think it'll help a lot when there are colors and numbers flying around.

Love the detail....great job.....

EddyFlower -> BANOR (Bad Ass Nigga's On the River) report
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #29
Indian Hills, Colorado
A three day running average would probably clutter the page. A three day running average is calculated as (sum of flow measurements during past 72 hours) / (number of measurements). Technical analysis of stocks and runoff are pretty much the same. I'm looking forward to the board lighting up with "winners." Ark at granite 2700? oh fuck yeah, I'm callin in well.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #30
If I was really dreaming and this is possible with some computer savy folks, how about some sort of feature that automatically pulls the time of day and flow which the river peaks at each day? I know if you go into the graph anyone can figure it out, but it could be another cool improvement. Some of those high alpine snow fed creeks fluctuate so much it really depends what time of day you put on.

The Steamboat hole sometimes increases by like 20-30 percent oer the course of a few hours, same with Fish Creek. Non-locals do not know this fact, could tip em off though.