Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-10-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Up the creek without a paddle... (Bear creek that is)

First time on bear creek yesterday. Loads of fun, lots of boaters there. I flipped right after the first boof in the house rapid. Proceeded to do a full and thorough field test of my full face helmet on the shallow creek bed. Damn I've never taken so many hits so fast, I felt like a punching bag. All teeth accounted for and a successful helmet test. I was trying to set up to roll thinking that this really sucks and I might swim. The paddle got ripped out of my hands by rocks, but I somehow managed to do a hand roll off the bottom of the shallow creekbed. I found myself upright, no paddle, but pointed downstream coming into the next drop. I started handpaddling and made it over the next rocky drop upright thinking what the hell am I going to do now! Totally up the creek with no paddle! As I was hand paddling, and still in the rapid, my hand hit my paddle, and I grabbed it with one hand, got it back, paddled the rest of the rapid and eddied out with the rest of the crew I was boating with! Holy shit! Talk about a total luck move. That was a long shot. I could barely believe that i didn't end up swimming after that. After breaking a small piece of wood with my chest, getting stuck in the hole right above the last drop of no fun falls and riding it out for 15-30 seconds, and barely making it over the last drop upright, I finally found my swim. I pinned on some semi-mobile logs that another boater was pinned on. I think we had 3 boats on it at the peak of the traffic jam. More of an annoyance than a super dangerous pin, but I had to get out of the boat and was able to immediatley hold on to my boat and some bushes. As far as swims go, it wasn't that bad and didn't even require any swim strokes. But it still counts! First swim this season, and I was hoping to make it through the season. Oh well. Great fun though! The only thing I lost was some knuckle skin and the contents of my adrenaline gland, so all in all it was a great day. Thanks to the boaters who took me down for the first time. They were top notch, showed me the lines, and saved my paddle after the pin.

Gotta love the monsoon!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #2
eventful day...

broke my cherry on Bear Creek yesterday, and just like deepsouth got turned over on my way over the first drop in House- donk! top of my helmet got it hard a few times, but no real carnage... after that it went smooth

Thanks to Kaleb for the lines and Nate for the sweep.

PS. that run could be the crack of creekin'- one hit'll make you a slave

SeLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #3
Golden, Colorado
Hey deepsouth...
That was an awesome display and made for a memorable day. When you pull off that many saves in a row you can call it skill, not luck. When you rolled up on the lip of No Fun Falls after your rodeo in the hole you should have made a maniac face and yelled, "I meant to do that!!!" to the people on shore, just before your giant boof.
We'll be back up there today if you need another dose.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #4

That rodeo ride at the lip of the falls was huge...at least a 200 point ride...and the roll at the lip of the falls seamlessly transitioned into the boof stroke, nice. I think I've got a picture of it around here somewhere if deepsouth doesn't mind...
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #5
This post is useless without video!
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah, the no fun falls rodeo was a crowd pleaser! I was glad to provide the comic relief for the day. The funny thing was that a crew of buddies who were about to go up to the put in were on shore scouting when I pulled my rodeo move, now dubbed the Mc-Oh-Shit. I spent more time in that hole in my creekboat than I usually do in any wave/hole in my playboat. Might have gone back in for a few cartwheels if I wasn't getting washed over the next falls! Doh! Adrenaline gland is filled back up so I'll be back after work if she's still running.

Props gotta go out to twitch too. We had the first fun of the morning I think, and he was out there at just about every major drop pulling out wood and cleaning things out to make for clean runs for those who followed.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote