Old 04-04-2005   #1
unofficial Animas River Daze

So no one is sponsoring an Animas River Days rodeo, Plus at the real ARD it's team trails for slalom, reliable sources said that would be going on all day all weekend(June 10th-12th) so if a rodeo happened that weekend it would have to be at Santa Rita hole. That wouldn't be that bad...... But I say we do an unofficial Animas Rodeo/big trick contest either the second or third weekend of May........the 13th- 15th or 20th-22nd.

You know our water is going to be off the chain down here. LOCALS LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN. All the rest come on down and enjoy what we got.

Big Trick Contest: Sign up at hole. Contest is from X time to X time. Video will be running. Video will be shown later that night where votes will be cast.

Rodeo: NO info. yet

Cash Purse: I think it would be sweet to have an entry fee for each event. All the money would go into a Purse. If you enter as a beginner your entry fee would go into the beginner cash purse, same with experts and pro.

So come on down, have fun in the area; there will be something running for every skill level. Tell a friend, bring a car load. If we have a Cash Purse the more entry's we have the bigger the pot grows.

Come to Durango and Represent

Please respond and say what you think, locals and non-locals alike. Witch weekend would be the best, what do you think about the Cash Purse, How con we make the Rodeo unofficially official and so on.

Thanks for reading if you got this far and please respond.

Old 04-04-2005   #2

I was told the river daze were being held the weekend of june 11 by 4 corners and they said they were not sponcering it this year Last years were on the weekend of the 4th. I hope the 11th is right cuz I took time off work and got a hotel room for the weekend. what do you mean NO rodeo???

rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #3
according to that news release there will be a rodeo at santa rita. I had heard from several people that there wasn't going to be one. I will talk to 4corners and get to the bottom of it. As I stated in my above post the slalom races will be taking place all day all weekend at the official ARD. This means not much play in the park until after the races are over(around 4pm). I say have an excuse to come down here twice. Come down in mid-may when we have mad water and choice of feature all day. Then come back in June and hit everything that was too high in May, and see the best racers Jockey for a spot on the U.S team

I don't mean to be spitting misinformation(thanks for the news release RAS) I just want to see EVERYONE down here one weekend, an Animas blowout. In June we have trouble drawing lots of folks b/c of of other rodeos the same weekend.
Old 04-05-2005   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Rita Rodeo

We are currently in the process of trying to put together a locals/whomever rodeo for Santa Rita or Kahuna for the Saturday of that weekend. The word is Corner Pocket is off limits so which ever other feature is best will be the local. Would love any help aquiring sponsorships, prizes, setup, judging or prizes. Please contact Warren Starrett at (970)946-8796 or Thanks for any interest and any help is appreciated.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #5
Good Warren, I'm glad others are working on this, I'll jump on your train. If I can help give me a call 884-0594.

I say we still have a big trick contest in may also
Old 04-05-2005   #6
River Daze is the 11th? That is the same time FibArk is going on, which may not be good. If its any consolation, I will donate some free raft rentals or any other equipment rentals from San Juan College's Outdoor Equipment Rental. If it is the 11th, then I will be up at FibArk, which would suck.
stonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #7
FIB ARK IS THE 18th and 19th of june

Hey all... fib ark is the 18th 19th. Animas river days is officially not happening and has not been happening since the end of last years years event. Due to lack of numbers of participants, volunteer help, and cost of putting on such a great event. There is still a boat parade on Friday evening. I am not sure that people realize how much work it takes to put on an event like this and the money that it looses every year for the last 7 to 9 years. Now there still may be a rodeo but as stated above, it cannot happen at the park due to the schedule of the National Team trials. This is a full day and three day event, Friday Saturday and Sunday. But folks are working on having a rodeo and they will keep you posted on the happenings. I think things will come together. It will be separate from the National Team Trails and will be low key and tons of fun. Weather there is a rodeo or not the water is going to be epic!!!!!!!! so come down and enjoy the waves.
Cheers John Brennan

keel is offline   Reply With Quote