Old 05-11-2007   #1
Union Ave wave feedback?

Wow, those Union Ave waves are amazing. That's some of the best play in the US. I noticed on the USGS flow web site that the water has never been this high this time of year since they started recording, more than 30 years ago. This is special.

Wave #4 is pretty neat. Do you think the hole is loopable?

Hollywood wave, wave #2 is funky. That hole below the wave sure looks meaty with the sides pushing you back in the center. It reminds me of the Pine Creek hole.

I don't think a hole that big would be caused by a flat bottom pool. There must be something under wave #2. A swimmer without a PFD died there last year in low-moderate water so I wonder if something under wave #2 had something to do with it.

I didn't get a chance to try wave #7. How is that compared with wave #4?

The dam drop also looks pretty good. Do people play on that wave?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah. the consistent high releases are a special thing. It made me dream about a scheduled releases of high water.

We dropped into the first dam drop at 1700 cfs. Its really thrashy in there and if you go a bit to surfers right it gets more symmetrical and you have to fight your way over the big pile and out of the hole. Haven't surfed it since then, just headed downstream to Hawaii 5.0.

I dropped into hollywood at higher water too, and it made my eyeballs bulge! Its thrashy. Somebody told me they called it the midget wrestler, a worthy name. It started auto cartwheeling me while upside down, but it wouldn't flush when you flipped upside down. I had to fight really hard to get out of it. For as second I wasn't sure if I could get out in the boat or not. I haven't had the desire to jump back in there. Not sure what causes the hole. Haven't looked at low water.

Hawaii 5.0 is the shit.

The last drop in the close in sequence has a good fluffy hole. Fun times.

There is one more feature down a ways by the dump or car crusher or whatever it is. It was a deep pocket wave that was a kick ass bucking bronco ride. Fun to check out too.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #3
Metro Area, Colorado
Ditto on that...

F'ing sweet!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote