Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-11-2011   #71
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I have heard concerns by people that are closer to the project then I that are very close to what caverdan alludes to. It now seems that the cable anchors are not going to be removed. It also appears there are plans for a permit system by AHRA during the viewing portion of the project that appears setup to be able to scaled out to other sections of the river on a more permanent basis. By the way, all that permit planning by AHRA was paid for out of the Christo project slush fund.

To me it sounds like a way to get an extra $10 pp out of boaters on top of parking to me in the long run. I for one do not like the sound of paying almost $20 to run numbers.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #72
Silverthorne, Colorado
Voice your opinions about altering the Arkansas River to... http://www.coloradodot.info/topcontent/contact-cdot
Governor Hickenlooper

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #73
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post

if this is the new idea of beautiful im never coming back to colorado.

i have more than one safety concern with this uneducated "Art Show", let alone the environmental impact of 6 more miles along the river.
I actually thought it might be cool to see, but that picture looks terrifying- I'm not usually claustrophobic, but then when I'm in a building, I expect to be in a building; on the river, I expect to see the sky. I would not advocate the destructive suggestions on here, but it does make you think... are they going to police the river to make sure this thing doesn't accidentally or intentionally catch fire? What if it came down on boaters?

Look on the bright side, the project completion date is Fall of 2014- Christo is 76 years old- the odds are in our favor that this project will not come to fruition.

Fuck that. Burn it. BrownTrout, can you put me in touch with those schools?
Randaddy- as always, you crack me up.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #74
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
All those in favor of this project keep throwing out the point about how much money it will bring in...

Once again I will say..

This CRAP has cost US a TON in tax dollars ALREADY. Who do you think pays to push all the paper?? This has been going on for years!! It should have been stopped from the very beginning! And, unfortunately, it's probably too late.

I'm willing to bet that all of you folks who support this nonsense will probably eat your words when it's all said and done. That's the American way...go for the money and then find someone to blame when it doesn't work out the way it was supposed to.
Wear shoes in the house...safety. Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #75
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
If this piece of shit goes through its time to ask, what would Hayduke do.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #76
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
A part of the deal is that Christo has to pay for adding drops or improving existing drops....
But aren't we opposed to altering the river? LOL

Oh wait, it's OK if it's a play park or adding a drop.

It's not OK if it's moving rocks around a hazardous rapid where people are killed.

It's OK if it's under the guise of "art".

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #77
Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by nicho View Post
If this piece of shit goes through its time to ask, what would Hayduke do.
He got fed up and left Colorado 25 years ago.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #78
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Boiler ,

Are you familiar with the Pueblo playpark? It is the epitome of urban renewal,a completely manmade rundown industrial area was revamped into a park with paths on the side,several manmade drops -none natural,sloping concrete walls -something akin to the LA ''River" that they always have car chases in in movies-covered with drawings/murals ,adjacent to residential,industrial,and downtown area in the middle of a mid sized[100,000 + ] city.All the arguments about the environment being less than pristine along the Ark apply tenfold here.No I DON'T LIKE ALTERING NATURAL RIVERS,though i don't recall chiming in on those threads.Quartzite should have been left alone,as for some dangerous frequently commercially rafted spot on the Poudre or Ark being cemented in, i'm on the fence leaning towards" no avoid the damn thing".I didn't say the drops were art just a price Christo has to pay the community for allowing his project. Not trying to get too shitty with you ,this Christo dude really gets people at each others throats for some reason.I never expected anybody to take the idea seriously.

Matty , You may be right ,but only time will tell how much it generates.How much public money has been spent on this seemingly endless beaucratic process?I 'm not usually the guy advocating profiteering off stuff,just thats the pros and cons of this endless argument; the economic benefits and cultural value of the art versus environmental impacts,traffic jams disruption of river activities,the costs you point out,and the prejudices of people such as myself that just think his art sucks.

Mike, Don't hold this bs against the whole state bro.

Steven, You were right on the last Christo thread.I never should have mentioned Mapplethorpe,only a small % of his work is "shock jockish" most isn't and is quite good.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #79
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
We have all these so called "keep it natural" decision makers running the forest service, I was told one day by the camp host as I wanted to launch my kayak from the rocky river bed at the forest service camp on lower piedra river close to Pagosa Springs CO that "walking into the river bed from the bank would cause erosion and was prohibited and if I did not want a fine, to load my kayak on the truck and leave the area".

If the art community has all this money to spend, spend it to buy land in the watershed and protect the headwaters of this river from further exploitation.
So an ex-security guard type guy with a small penis, who never got the sheriffs job he really wanted tells you, you can't access the river from a FS campground and you listened to him?

This puts your whole argument into jeopardy.

Great idea on the buy up the river though. Good luck with that.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #80
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
oh yeah,lol the guy that wants to hang buzzard's underwear on clotheslines over the river.... see Christo started another argument just since i posted...

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote