Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-11-2011   #61
Jenks, Oklahoma
This project is bad for the river, bad for people that use the highway, bad for the environment and my bet is the clean up never happens any where close to actually fixing the damage done. This is a desert river and takes many decades to repair itself from even minor damage. Any money made during the "show" is going to be lost many times over during the so called cleanup actions.

One of my "professional" art friends tells me that art is anything that the person viewing it thinks is art. Well this type of "art" is not suited for the Arkansas River Gorge area - at least in my opinion.

We have all these so called "keep it natural" decision makers running the forest service, I was told one day by the camp host as I wanted to launch my kayak from the rocky river bed at the forest service camp on lower piedra river close to Pagosa Springs CO that "walking into the river bed from the bank would cause erosion and was prohibited and if I did not want a fine, to load my kayak on the truck and leave the area". Now these yahoos from where ever want to hang a bunch of stuff from one of the finest river banks in CO and completely alter the balance of what is left of nature on this river for decades and the project gets consideration. What is going on?

If the art community has all this money to spend, spend it to buy land in the watershed and protect the headwaters of this river from further exploitation.

Some one posted to do the "art" down in the concrete canyons of the Pueblo area. For a lot of reasons this is a great suggestion, traffic control and river bank damage being major positive ones - move this ill conceived "art" down stream.

The entire Ark upper basin has been "loved" to the point it is either at or close to being maxed out. I admit that I am one of the thousands of people who make multiple long distance drives to enjoy what this area from Canon City up to BV has to offer. I leave my footprints along the river access points and a bunch of gas, food, lodging money for the home boys. And, do not regret spending any of it. I do not leave a high impact erosion prone set of foundations to mess up the environment.

I hope the decision makers say NO to this project in the gorge. If it has to happen move it to Pueblo's Concrete Canon.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #62
C. Springs, Colorado
My thoughts were to collect all you buzzards underware and hang it from the cables before the fabric goes up. Take a bunch of pictures of it.....put them in fancy frames.......set up a booth along the road......sell it as local art. What do ya think?? We could make a bunch of beer money and even sell buzz calanders and G strings signed by our Betty Buzzards.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #63
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
For some reason, I had the impression that this "temporary" art installment was going to be constructed, displayed, and removed over the course of several months. Reading some of the posts, and looking into it a bit more, sounds like the environmental impact study says 2 years, and the opposition is thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 years.
If it was going to take 6 months from cradle to grave, I think that the impact would be negligable from an environmental perspective, and the economic impact over a short period of a $50 million capital injection would be good for the valley.
But stretch this out over 5 years, and I would agree with the opposition that this is too much for the river, and would argue that the potential loss in traditional tourism and recreation from the disruption of the installation would mitigate the dollars being brought in by Christo. Even if it only takes 2 years, I do have concern that this is too long and would put undue pressure on the watershed.
I don't have all the info, and I think there's alot of misinfo out there, but I think that it would be helpful for those in the opposition camp to be constructive in their opposition. I think suggestions like an earlier poster had to move the installation to Pueblo is awesome, and could be taken seriously by Christo. Maybe reduce the scale of the project. Shorten the length and place it over the playpark in downtown BV, so instead of 6 miles, you only have a mile or less, which may shorten the project time enough to reduce alot of the potential impact...
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #64
Fort Collins, CO Summer Paddling Since: 2003
I think that would be called vandalism. You sound like a great guy. If you disagree with something you destroy it? I know of several elementary schools that could help with your impulsive destructive behavior. This art is not installed yet. Anything could happen. If you think it's crap, then support one of the groups currently against it. Christo went through the designated process to make this happen I'm sure there is something peaceful you could do to make it not happen.
BrownTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #65
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Fuck that. Burn it. BrownTrout, can you put me in touch with those schools?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #66
Fort Collins, CO Summer Paddling Since: 2003
Ranchild, you would not burn it. Don't be a part of the "Internet threat game" it does not suit you.
BrownTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #67

For more information and a constructive way to react to this thing, folks might want to take a look at roarcolorado.org

There, as Paul Harvey used to say, you can get the rest of the story.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #68
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Most myths come from stories. While that book was interesting, it really seemed torqued about trying to prove that Native Americans were just as fckd up as we are now. It's been a while since I read it, but now I can picture it being trotted up on Fox news.
In some areas resources were pushed to their limits but the management of resources such as forests and herd animals was something we could learn from today.

The book was FAR from anything Faux news related and the author admits that certain theories cannot be proved. In general the book was about the fact that the Americas were NOT populated by small bands of tribal savages but were populated by millions of people who had larger cities than their contemporary European neighbors.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #69
Summit/SLC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by tango View Post
internet shit talkers are pussies. no way you'll do it.
As you so eloquently demonstrate.
headtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #70
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So if we don't agree with this project, is there a petition circulating? Can we get it shut down...I can't imagine it would be good for the herds of deer and bighorn sheep that use the Arkansas for water, nor for raptors and waterfowl or other animals in the corridor. I would really like for us buzzards to join together and get this stopped. I visited the ROAR site but am unsure as to the effectiveness of it.

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote