Old 07-08-2009   #21
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
True that it may not have mattered, however, it is a very basic safety device.
If this simple thing is looked over, what else was?

The cold could very easily have sent them into shock, and it went down from there. But the helmet is still very important in my eyes, as much so as a PFD.

the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #22
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Originally Posted by littlebit View Post
Declined wearing helmets... wow. To me, this says they didn't have any idea of the possible consequences. How sad.
I heard on the local news that they had helmets but accidently left them in somebodys car. Probably wouldn't have made a bit of diference in this situation.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #23
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I heard on the local news that they had helmets but accidently left them in somebodys car. Probably wouldn't have made a bit of diference in this situation.
In Elflaco's posting Chaffee County Sheriff Tim Walker was quoted as saying that the helmets were left in the vehicle intentionally, after they declined to wear them. That clearly shows they didn't understand what they were actually undertaking...too bad no one was there to question them, and maybe talk them out of it, or recommend a better stretch...

my condolences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #24
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

I hope if and when I make a mistake on the river a bunch of boaters who have been in the sport for five years or less can get on a forum and let my kids know how stupid I was.

He had been boating for 25 years. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. He will live with the helmet choice and consequences of his decisions that day forever.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #25
benefit of the doubt? give me a fucking break.
catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #26
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Every river fatality is a tragedy, and I feel great sympathy for the families involved.

Having said that, I was extremely disturbed to see this story on 9News - maybe not so much the story, which just repeats the known facts, but this weird notion that "debate rages about rafting" as a result of this and the other fatalities this year. | Colorado's Online News Leader | Debate over rafting rages in wake of accident

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir on this board, but seriously - Colorado is all about altitude, slope and runoff. All can can have lethal consequences if not appropriately respected. The suggestion that seems to waft through this piece is that private boaters are too irresponsible to enjoy these sports, and that everyone should be guided by commercials (as if fatalities don't happen on commercial trips). I have little doubt that the commercials just love to read headlines like this, since they can be prone to looking down their noses (or worse) at private boaters, and any restrictions placed on private boaters just expands their business and eases their access. (Note: I am NOT saying they cheer over private boater fatalities at all - I don't deny their humanity, I merely question sometimes their attitude about sharing the river with us privates...)

Sorry if I sound conspiratorially hysterical here, but in my mind, as a near-twenty year rafter and someone who, to a fault, stays away from runs I don't feel comfortable doing, I get infuriated that some "debate" exists, or should exist, about private boaters running rivers.

There is no debate. Mother Nature offers her gifts, she invites us to enjoy and appreciate them, but bitchslaps those who don't respect her dominance. End of story.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #27
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This "raging debate" is nothing more than a fabrication of a news "reporter" trying to come up with a new "angle" on a tragic accident. As a recovering journalist, I know all too well the pressure from editors to come up with a "fresh take" on an existing news story. In this case, it's just amateurish, irresponsible "journalism." The "reporter" and the "editor" both failed miserably.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #28
I can see how that hit a nerve with you but, would you take three inexperienced people down a run at 160% of the flow that the commercial companies are cut off from running it? Then give them the option of if they want to wear a helmet or not? There is a reason that section isn't regularly rafted at those high of flows. From the quote I don't think the Sheriff (Walker) realized that it was shut down to commercial rafting. That's a sheriff who I'm sure doesn't like people dying on the river either and telling people to go with commercial companies is the smart thing to say for someone in his position.

To say that the commercials "love to read headlines like this" is ignorant. They lose business by people dying on the river, private or commercial, because now someone who was on the edge of going or not will think they are going to die if they go. Every time there is a fatality on any river in the state the phones stop ringing at the rafting companies.

BTW I didn't read the new article until after posting this because I just assumed is was the same one they keep posting as new since it happened. Even though I read that differently than you, it was saying that experience, preparedness, and knowledge are the most important factors not private vs. commercial.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #29
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Much of the same could be said about skiing. I don't trust my skills to evaluate avalanche danger so my risk tolerance is very low and won't go out unless conditions are bombproof. I prefer to pay a ski area to maintain an acceptable level of risk. I'm glad commercial rafting outfits are out there to provide such services to people who are not willing or able to dedicate the time and effort to become a competent rafter*. If the general public is nervous about independent rafting that could be a good thing. If someone really wants to learn the sport, they will and things like this could encourage rational assessment, education, and a slow progression. Its very easy in a situation like this (single raft, inexperienced paddlers, no helmets) to let little things add up to ugly consequences.
*not an assessment of the guide involved here
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #30
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
would you take three inexperienced people down a run at 160% of the flow that the commercial companies are cut off from running it?
Pardon my ignorance... who/what agency prohibits commercial outfitters from running Pine Creek when it's running above a certain flow threshold? Is there a statute prohibiting this, an agreement, or ??? Thanks for any info.

dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote