Old 06-10-2013   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Twin Lakes, Lake Creek, Ark River

Hi all,
We made some changes on the Fry-Ark project today. Here's a note I sent out:

Today on the Fry-Ark Project we have started to wrap up exchanges against native inflows. Additionally, we are starting to see run-off inflows increase into Twin Lakes. As a result, we will be ramping up releases from Twin Lakes to Lake Creek over the next 36 hours. The anticipated schedule for increases to releases is as follows:

Today, June 10, 3 p.m.: 270 cfs, bringing total release to about 290 cfs.
At 8 p.m. we will add another 250, bringing the total release to around 540 cfs.
Tomorrow, June 11, at 7 a.m. we will increase a third time by 250 cfs bringing the total release to Lake Creek to 790 cfs.

Depending on run-off conditions, we might add a fourth increase later in the afternoon on June 11. I will keep you posted.

I think this is kind of a "jargoned" note I sent and I am trying to make it better. I know a lot of folks familiar with water understand "exchanges against native inflows," but not everyone does. So, I'll give it a go:

Essentially, when native inflow is coming into Twin Lakes, if an entity has water down in Pueblo Reservoir, they can exchange it against what is coming into Twin. So, if they have water in Pueblo they want to exchange and 100 cfs is coming into Twin Lakes, they can release 50 out of Pueblo, keeping the lower Valley whole, and store their other 50 in Twin. effectively moving their storage from Pueblo to Twin via an exchange.

So, during the exchange times, native water into Twin Lakes is not being released down the Arkansas. Now that the "native exchanges" are wrapping up, and inflow is coming on with run-off, we're bumping up the releases from Twin Lakes.

This isn't quite as finessed as my other explanations and I apologize. I'm trying to get better at describing exchanges and substitutions and it is not without its challenges.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Wow! So basically flows on the Ark will be enhanced by 770 cfs tomorrow as compared to yesterday? That is quite a bump!

Thanks for always keeping us in the loop.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #3
Loveland, Colorado
up some more

Mjpowhound and All,
Yes, yesterday was a bit of a bump. And today, more of the same. Just sent this note:

Today we continue the wrap up of native exchanges. As a result, we bumped up releases from Twin Lakes Dam to Lake Creek (Lake Creek flows into the Arkansas) in several stages:

This morning, June 11, 11 a.m. releases bumped up by 250 cfs to around 1160 cfs.
This afternoon, around 4 p.m. we will bump up approximately another 200 cfs to about 1370 cfs.

For both increases, releases stage up in roughly 15 minute increases starting at the top of the hour.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Woo hoo, thanks for keeping us updated on the details Kara!

2900 in Browns this morning. Significantly more water than I expected to see at peak.

Do you expect releases to be maintained near the level of inflow for long? Seems like they will have to start storing water again soon to have enough for the VFMP later...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote