Mountain Buzz banner

Tushar Mtns, UT?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  restrac2000 
#1 ·
Has anyone poked around the Tushar Mtns of west-central UT? Some nice looking volcanic peaks, complete with gorges and gradient. There is some good snowfall up there too, water + gorges + friendly rock types = ??

#3 ·
hmm. i remember rolling through there a few years back, and thought I saw some promising looking canyons and gorges. maybe they only look better from above. i'd like to go back in and do some serious hiking in the area and see what's in there. thanks for sharing the report, anyway, I always love looking at your blog, great photos and adventures always! :D

#4 ·
I celebrated new years there last year. Good back country skiing. Beautiful view as well. I didn't notice any creeks large enough when I was there in the summer. There is a small creek going to Beaver, however it looks shallow. I'm not a kayaker, therefore I don't have an eye for whats boat-able or not.

Big peaks in a really cool area.

#5 ·
Potential in North Creek and around the gorge outside Marysvale (several waterfalls), etc. Big wildfire a few years ago damaged a lot of the basins north of North Creek to I-70 and has left a lot of potential for mudslides and widow makers. Spent 2 years as a biological technician in that range for the forest service. There is a roadside series of drops along the Hwy up to the ski resort but it has a small dam that can limit flows. Fly fished the middle stretch and it has potential if the water gets high enough. Never really seen enough flow from my limited perspective though. Would take a lot of scoping out and I believe they have shut down all of the USGS gauges other than the lower ones.

Lots of ATV trails but fewer maintained hiking trails. One longer national scenic trail, plenty of high peaks and potential for ski mountaineering. Hit and miss snow in this region but it is one of the more reliable ranges south of I-70.

Ping me sideband if you have any specific questions. Great range with few non-motorized outside of hunting season.

Phillip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.