Old 08-01-2010   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tubing Class III in Costa Rica!

I am a part time resident in Colorado and Costa Rica these days and my house in CR sits on a creek that has just begun to flow as it is the "moderately rainy season down here" (meaning it rains for about 2-4 hours on the average each day) as a result the creek (about 50 wide on the average) ranges from a "tranquillo" class II flow to a pumping Class V gauntlet when we get random dumps...

Yesterday I decided to head out on it with a few friends on tubes rather then my raft... I must say it was fun, it was a work out, and I ended up with several brush burns as a result of sliding over some rocks but thats just part of the game... Ironically, I found myself using the same exact skill sets, read and run, head for the tongue, drop in right down the middle and hope that you don't get surfed which I did once or twice...

The main difference is that it's a real struggle to make the lateral moves you need to make and a great upper body work out... If anyone is heading down this way and once some intel, or wants a paddle partner on some great creeks or rivers to run in the "Southern Zone" (think Jaco and lower when you look on the map) I have done a bunch of exploring down here and would love to help out...

veeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
hey Chris will be down in Montezuma in about 10 days and was thinking about tryiong to get to Quepos to paddle. Is there somewhere to get gear to rent and if so maybe we can do a bit of paddling? My boyfriend has a friend that just moved to Quepos and she is a paddler as well so I am defiently leaning to a couple of days that way.

melcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #3
Turrialba, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to Canoera
Hey Chris! Do you ever come to the Turrialba area? I'm here with Costa Rica Rios this season and hoping to try riverboarding. 8972-0013

Costa Rica Adventure Travel, Kayaking and Canoeing Trips.
Canoera is offline   Reply With Quote

class ii, class iii, costa rica