Old 07-09-2009   #1
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Tuber shot in Kentucky

Springfield teen shot while rafting down river - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports |

watch the video

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #2
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
That crazy lady will spend some time in jail. You can't shoot people for trespassing. It's pretty obvious the little hick and preger's girlfriend posed no eminent threat. Although I do think all of them including Annie Oakley fall under the "stupid people with no common sense" thread.

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
About 15 years ago a buddy of mine and I took his folks down the Poudre below Filter plant on sit-on-tops - dumb idea, because as many of you know, there are a nasty diversion dam with deadly 3' aerator concrete teeth at the base of a 6-8' slide.

We came around the corner and saw it, and my friend's mom freaked out, tipped and swam. We were able to get her to shore before the drop, but had to get onto some old dude's private property. He comes running out, red-faced and yelling, to get off his property. We told him sorry, but we had to trespass because of the safety issue. He said "I don't care- get back in the water and go die in that dam!". Dude was apoplectic - I thought he was going to stroke out right there, he was so angry. I also have no doubt that if he had a gun, he would have shot at us.

Believe me, it took every amount of constraint we had not to break that guy's jaw for trying to make a 50 year old shivering woman get back on a boat and float over a death trap. We quickly portaged the dam with him yelling at us, and we did have the sheriff waiting for us at our takeout, but he didn't cite us or anything. It was one of the few times in my life that I actually felt the I wanted to kill someone.

So don't go boating down that section of the Poudre thinking you'll get a I-II float. I can't imagine that guy is still alive (and yes, I hope his ticker did blow up, the evil fuck), so maybe the portage issue isn't as volatile, but it isn't a worthy section regardless.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #4
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Its redneck law they will shoot anything that crosses there property line, its like they think people are out to get them. In Washington State iam pretty sure you don't have any property rights 5 or 10 feet from the rivers water line, this should be the same every wear.
Jonathan Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
JC - A-F'n-MEN !!! the rivers should belong to EVERYONE! Under the guidance and protection of Rangers and BLM officers.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #6
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
hmmm and here a few people on here thought I was nuts for occasionally packing heat in my boat....
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #7
Bavailia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
some banjo music in the background would have been appropriate

tacobob is offline   Reply With Quote