Mountain Buzz banner

Trying to get back to kayaking!

Tags
kayaking
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Crooksie 
#1 ·
Hello all!

When I was in college I was in a kayak club ( Mansfield University). It was really great, learned how to roll and went out on many trips with school.. Havent really gone out since leaving college 2010. I bought a kayak a little after college thinking I would go out but never really did. I have a Jackson 2Fun. 7 years later and it sits in my garage.

So, I had a skirt but it doesn't seem to fit the kayak well. Any suggestions on a skirt to get? I see with Seals I should get a 1.4.

I also sadly have gained a bit of weight so not sure what sizing I should get.

Most of the meetup clubs are mostly just lake kayaking but hope to go back out again. Not sure if a 2Fun would be a good fit for lake kayaking.

Any suggestions on getting back?

- Margaret

#2 ·
Here is a link to Seal Skirts fit guide: Seals Sprayskirts - Sizing

Women specific skirts have a shorter tunnel. The Snapdragon EXP is an example of that. It is a good entry level skirt. You will have to check their sizing chart to figure out the appropriate tunnel and cockpit size.

If you really get committed, IR has some better/drier skirts (Lucky Charm) if you want to spend a bit more.

All skirts vary in size and depend on paddlers's waist /hip size and cockpit size.

I'd contact a local club or place that gives whitewater lessons. Take a couple of beginner clinics. Meet some people and start paddling. Keep paddling the 2Fun until you decide what direction you want to go--river running, creeking, lake. Then you can find the appropriate boat for what you want to do.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.