Old 05-16-2007   #1
trip to CO in Mid June/July

hey y'all

i am heading out by myself to CO for the summer with my boats. looking for some good class IV runs. paddled the Cache la Poudre and the Ark last year and was thinking of centering myself in Salida, but am flexible

couple of questions
1) what is a "must do" for class IV?
2) any good place to meet up with people? are there other towns besides salida that i can meet people to go out boating with?
3) what's the snowpack look like this year? is the water going to last until mid July?

outdoorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #2
oh yeah
good class IV might include the north fork of the south platte (bailey) if it's running; slim chance. also, the numbers and royal gorge of the ark (guaranteed flow), slaughterhouse on the roaring fork near aspen (all natural), lower south boulder creek (lsb) near boulder (dam released, good chance), gore canyon (a safe bet), boulder creek above the park (good chance), various sections of the clear creek near golden (good chance), something on the gunnison? not sure. and the upper animas at lower flows, piedra? (kinda doubt it, seems to go early), gore creek, and maybe 10 mile near frisco.
give a holler when your in town.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #3
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
sandbag dan, so this poor guy asks for class IV runs & you toss him at gore, lsb & bailey? You're a bastard!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Salida is a great base. Every time I go to the ark I feel like I am in boater heaven. Boats on so many cars. Every type of river / creek / play difficulty you could want right there. Great camping, cool mountain views, hot springs. Short ride over to the roaring fork for slaughterhouse, or to the eagle for gore creek / dowd chute.

Front range is a little futher, but thats where the snowpack is really good.

Ark is good to go all summer with supplemental flows. Front range will be kicking serious ass shortly.

Get the new guidebook whitewater of the southern rockies, its got all the info you need.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
These guys are all right on

Anywhere in central Colorado with free camping is good, but who needs a base anyway. How bout some gypsy paddle travel'n. If I had the bank I'd be rock'n that 7 days a week, with no planned schedule.

And rather than looking for rivers of a certain grade why not focus more on portagabilty and quality. I don't think Gore is a sandbag, given that he were with people who knew where to get out and scout. If he didn't want to run the class V stretches, I'd gamble on saying it would still be a nice day out. But I'd paddle the tail middle and end of June and then drive North and chase the water. I mean if you're not in Colorado because of support, why not just drive further north where, I think, things might have more water...Hope I don't get hate mail for telling someone to leave for a guide....and tip them well....there, that's better
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #6
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2003
I'll be up there around that time too...I'm driving from NC on the 11 and plan to be there till about july 2. Is it pretty reliable to assume that I can hook up with people each day to paddle with?

PnBhood is offline   Reply With Quote