Old 06-10-2012   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Tribute To OlMissBoater

Jonathan "JB" Boling Obituary: View Jonathan Boling's Obituary by The Gazette

I never knew him, but we were planning to launch the day after his launch. My friend Treehugger came up with a load of great beers for our trip, courtesy of OlMissBoater, after the Boundary Creek road clearing. What a generous thing to do!! It's SO VERY SAD to think that we will never have the opportunity to meet him or another opportunity to paddle or hang out with him.

If you want, please feel free to share the good times you had with OlMissBoater. My heartfelt and sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Outlaw, that's a classic story. He pulled some strings at work to get plenty of quality brews for the trip. I'm sure he thought "I'll leave these for tomorrow's group. They'll appreciate it as much as we would.". I hope you did.

Hope you had a great time. I hope everyone who reads this remembers that we're all connected. Sometimes through a simple act like the one above and others through years of friendship.

leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #3
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
I am always saddened to hear of a fellow boater passing... we Are all connected, the River makes us family. Even though I didn't know him except through the buzz, as an Ark guide and a lover of the middlefork, I feel his loss particularly strongly. My condolences to his friends and family... and as we can always learn from adversity, does anyone know what happened?
Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I only met Jon once. A few days before he was heading up to thew MFS. He sent beer along with me for our Trip leader in thanks for some road shoveling to the put in. He was a very kind and generous guy. I wish I could have had an opportunity to hang out and boat with him.
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #5
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Oh man....that is so sad! I never met him either but ask him about his user name once in PM ,as my wife went to OleMiss Univ.
How did he pass?

RIP brother and may your river in heaven always flow at 1000cfs and shuttles are never needed and a cooler full of beer for u in every eddy.
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Apparently you didn't see this thread. He was known by many buzzards and will be missed.

Jon Boling You will be missed
GARNAs mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #7
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
RIP JB...He sounded like a great guy.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #8
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Our group launched on Monday, June 4th. The ranger told us there had been a fatality the previous day at Velvet Falls--5 miles down river. And that two others were missing--that turned out to be false. Two other groups opted to cancel but we decided to go.
We sneaked past Velvet and went on down to Sheepeater Hot springs--our reserved camp. Jon's party (and Jon) were still there. They said that Jonathon fell out of his cat and swam. He gave them a thumbs up and seemed to be doing all right but then he likely had a heart attack. His party tried CPR on him for an hour with no luck.
So we all camped at Sheepeater and at 8:30 on Tues morning two kayakers showed up. They were sent by the Custer county sheriff's office to retrieve Jon and bring him and his boat to Indian Creek to fly him out. The weather was bad so a plane couldn't land until Wed to pick Jon up.
Ironic that Jon was generous even in death. His party gave us his beer.

Alanweezie1 is offline   Reply With Quote