Old 02-21-2005   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
TREASURE CANYON!!!!! The real story

First, I would like to give a shout out to TG. You are a true bro, it took me a while to read all of these posts on MTBZ, and I realize you have been taking a bashing from all of these boaters out there.

I want to make sure that all of you deserving class "whatever 5-6" boaters realize that TG is not the one holding back info. TG is doing a dam good job of respecting Rick and I's personal request. Please refrain from accusing TG of doing an injustice to the boating community.

We have worked hard over the past years to find the epic run, Rick and I stumbled upon this Canyon by pure luck, and at our request (not TG) we would like to finish what we found.

If you are up for running some of the most quality hair in the state, you are more than welcome to come with in the spring. There is plenty of crazy, steep shit that Miss AZ would shoot me if I ran for the first time.

Here is a short detail of what happened...

"Rick, his lovely wife Sara, and I headed out of town for a long Memorial day weekend. In proper Rick fashion, we ended up late, and off pace. In attempts to make time, we headed down a dirt road (that in 27 years in CO, I have never taken). We hoped that this short cut would get us to our final destination in half the time...after 2 hours on the road we started to come to a road block...Huge piles of snow. About the time we hit the snow...I realized that we were out of gas.

With nothing more to do we cracked the beers (Sara was pissed), looked over the edge of the road and saw something exciting!!! We turned the car around and coasted down hill...Stopping every 100 yards, looking over the edge, every time it looked too big (100' foot drops).

We were able to acquire a gallon of gas from some campers and directions to a remote town 60 miles away. After getting a full tank, more food, and beer, we decided to head back and spend the night.

After spending the better part of the next day scouting all 7-9 miles we decided to commit to the run. We had Sara drop us off at a convenient service road at the top of the run, instructed her to wait at the camp ground at the bottom.

After loading our boats with stout throw ropes, sleeping bags, and extra gear we headed out. We had to make quick lines, and scouts as for the fact that Sara would drive for help if we were not at the campground by 8:00pm.

Within the first 500 yards there is a series of large drops, s-bends, and class 5 rapids. TG's article is a great snap shot of the run itself and the drops that Rick and I first D.

There will be more to come in the next few months, bigger drops to be ran, and good times.

This drainage will be run for the better part of July, I would like to plan a trip on or before Memorial Day. Rick and I would like to take part in exploring and running a few more drops. I promise that the minute we do, we will disclose the location, put-in/take-out, difficulty of drops, and general info.

What we really need is safe boaters, Chainsaws, and some way of hauling wood.

Thanks TG

kayaked56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #2
I've got a chainsaw that i got specifically for this reason. its lightweight and small and fits in the back of a boat without a center pillar. i also have plenty of rope and a come-along. i love exploring shit and i will most likely be in the area. call me if you need an extra saw. 303-809-8942

nick wigston
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote