Old 11-05-2010   #1
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Travel Between Futa and Pucon

I'm gonna spend some time kayaking in Chile this summer and am leaning toward splitting my time between the Futaleufu valley and Pucon. I'll start and end in Futa with a side trip into Pucon. What are my options for travelling between Futa and Pucon? I'm interested more in efficiency here than price. I'd rather avoid the trip taking two or three days each way if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm new to kayaking and I've never been to South America so I could sure use some help.

kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #2
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
how is it that you'll be starting your trip in futa? that's pretty hard to do.
though while there, go to town to josh lowery's place. he's got a raft and kayak service right as you enter town from esquel. tell whoever's there that you wanna go to pucon. somebody will be going every once in a while. there's folks going back and forth.

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There is a bus from Futaleufu to the Pucon area that goes through Argentina. Or you can take the ferry from the "town" of Chaiten to Puerto Montt. Onefatdog has a point... how are you starting at the Futa? Here is the ferry site: Fiordos y Canales patagonicos.Viajes y Navegación por Patagonia. Navimag Ferries - Turismo Patagonia Chilena. ... also talk to Aren and Sarah Rane @

good luck! I had a blast last winter...
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010   #4
Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Futa to Pucon

Are you traveling with or without kayak?

Option A Go through Argentina: You'll take a series of buses through Argentina's Esquiel and Bariloche then onto Pucon. If you are a budget traveler who can handle close to 24 hours of travel in and out of bus stations then this is a good option.

Option B Take the Chaiten to Puerto Montt Ferry: You can take an overnight ferry and actually get some sleep. Here's how the trip breaks down.
Drive about 4.5 to 5 hours from Futa to Chaiten. Catch the 9-10 hour ferry to Puerto Montt. Then drive another 5 hours to Pucon.
I lead groups of 20 and use the ferry. It's pretty cool to sleep on the deck and take a big boat ride through Patagonia. Plus it's just more relaxing than the haul through Argentina.

If you need a place to stay or kayaks while in Pucon then I invite you to consider my place, Pucon Kayak Hostel.

If you prefer to come to Pucon first then I would be happy to help you arrange your logistics from Pucon to Futa: bus to Puerto Montt, booking Navimag ferry, and bus to shuttle or bus to Futa. You might even be able to hook up with a kayak group heading south at that time of year.

We have over 50 kayaks both play and freestyle with new selections. This place is designed by kayakers for kayakers.

Keep Kayaking.
Pucon Kayak Hostel
gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010   #5
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for your replies! It basically sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth for me to head up to Pucon. I'm flying in and out of Esquel and will be spending time with a company down in Futa for a fairly extended period of time. I was considering a side trip to Pucon so I'd have a chance to see some other rivers but I'm thinking Pucon is out of it's gonna take two days travel each way. Hmm... Any other ideas for other rivers closer to Futa, in either Argentina or Chile, that might be worth seeing??
kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote