Old 07-27-2015   #11
Essen, Germany
Paddling Since: 2009
for what it's worth, when I started out people recommended boats such as the Pyranha Z-One, Dagger Axiom, or Jackson Funrunner for this purpose -- not too forgiving so that you get harsh feedback, but still fun to paddle downriver and just forgiving enough.

Then again, I'm European, and it seems most paddlers in Germany and Austria progress more gently and not all the way to Class V. Might be that a forum such as this one has a bit of a self-selecting bias as the people here are probably more hardcore than your average casual boater, or that the culture in the Rocky Mountains encourages a steeper progression and more willingness to get a beating, or the need to get a boat with lots of reserves such as the Karma...

Docennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #12
Boise, Idaho
You also have to realize that different people will just learn differently, and you'll have to adjust to that.

For me, I wanted a bomber roll before I was getting out of a pond and on to a river. I wanted to be able to stay in my boat, and that gave me confidence through eddy lines, ferrying, and rapids.

For my SO, she has been down class II / III- a dozen or so times and while she has her roll in a pond, she immediately pulls if she gets flipped. However, she's learning a lot about the mechanics of paddling, eddies, etc. We just need to add her roll into the formula and she'll hit the next plateau.

I have a friend who has just bullied his way into boating Class IV water, and has swam more times than I can count. For better or worse, that was his method.

Obviously the advice given in this thread is best - find a boat that fits, get some instruction, learn a roll, and then get on the river. It's the safest and most practical.

But for some people, it just takes them a long time to learn a roll (others get it in the first day), and you can still get comfortable being in a boat and using a paddle on tame class II stretches (if you have them).

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #13
cedar city, Utah
Thanks again for the advice so far.

Don't know how she will respond and adapt speed wise during the transition. I know her gut is leaning towards the stability of a river runner but she is still malleable.

We are likely heading back out to the Ark valley next summer because of the cabin we have access to and both of us will benefit from running day trips more. Probably pre-buy one of the CKS rental passes so she can try out some different options before plopping $$ down on her own boat. We might be able to try out some other rental options sooner in Moab on flat water. (All this will happen after using friends boat, pool time and time on our local lake).

Keep the advice coming.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote