Old 10-11-2005   #1
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
train derailment in gore?

I heard that there was a train derailment west of kremling, possibly in gore, and that they may have lost some cars into the river! anybody heard anything about, i hope its not true there is enough railroad trash in there.

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #2
9news has a blurb on it...

It mentions that it happened near a tunnel, hopefullt not at the tunnel...[/url]

crestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Derail does not necessarily mean flying off the track, it just means that the wheels came off the tracks, so it might not be that big a deal from a crash standpoint. Gore is a pretty likely place for something like that to happen, as its twisty and downhill. It could also have happened down in little gore, though I'm not sure what there is for tunnels down there. Hopefully its just one of the low energy wheels came off the track jobs and not a train cars come off wheels and roll down into river ones. I kinda think its the first, seeing as it only got minimal press. Big crashes tend to bring in the media frenzy.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #4
Automotive Engineering
Send a message via MSN to dtom
I just got an message from Comcast saying that my internet will be out due to a train derailment 4 miles west of Kremmling. Which would be solidly in Gore proper. Something something rockslide something something, I wasn't sure.
dtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #5
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
bump, just wondering, I wont be there this weekend, but ,love the canyon and the area and dont want anymore polution like gilman, etc... anyone running it this weekend give us some beta so we can give some political headway with the railroad, AKA gorefest. ( you cant come on our property, but we will leave trash in it from 30 tears ago) any beta would be nice, I am not trying to start an m-wave thread, just looking for what happened!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #6
Why don't you just go put your boats in the water, float down there and see for yourselves.?
WAV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #7
No follow up on the train, other than from Comcast...

Internet service should be restored today
A Comcast spokeswoman said customers throughout the Roaring Fork and Colorado River valleys should again have high-speed Internet service today.

Comcast spokeswoman Cindy Parsons said a train derailment four miles west of Kremmling caused the two-day outage. A rock slide knocked the train off its tracks early Tuesday morning.

The accident damaged a fiber optic cable, which carries the high-speed Internet service. Comcast repair crews were not able to get to the cable in order to repair it until the train wreck was cleared Wednesday afternoon.

...Union Pacific Rapid?
wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just paddled Gore yesterday. The wreck is quit impressive. Looks like three cars derailed and two came tumbling down into the canyon. It happened right at tunnel rapid. Only small parts of debris made it as for as the river. The closest car to the river stopped about 50 yards above it. It also looks like some track and fiber optic cables were ripped apart. What a mess, I have a hard time believing they will be able to get those cars out. Lyle
Reflecting on our adventures allows us to keep the spirit of joy, happiness, hardships, honesty and gratitude alive.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #9
...paddled Gore yesterday as well. The rock slide that caused the accident was pretty impressive too. It seems that if they want to remove the debris they'll have to come in with torches and cut the cars down. Let's just hope that while we're not looking they don't regress and "accidently" roll that shit into the river bed like the old days.

routter is offline   Reply With Quote