Originally Posted by hottamalesatthredlight
Howdy Buzzards! I hope you are all enjoying this classic big water year with unlimited options. I have a problem. I am part of a trip for the canyon launching in Oct but we can not go(short story). Is there a way or place to trade launch dates?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Keep the ugly side up!
Having just gone through this with the NPS it is less than unlikely. We did a trip swap before the lottery and it was simple. They used to do it on the phone - dates were abandoned and people could call in and pick up a date. So what they would do is if the two parties made a three way conference call to the NPS office, the person giving up the trip would tell the ranger, and the person wanting it just happened to be on the phone.
With the lottery we were told not only no but h*ll no. The only way to get a swap is to try to pick up the trip on a make up lottery. That is what PATLs are for. If your PATLs can't pick up the trip that way then the only way is to put it back in the lottery and hope you can win the lottery. There are ways to increase the chances the primary of which is to delay returning it to the very last minute (it means the primary loses his $400 deposit or the entire permit up to 1600). This can be as little as a month or less. My friend turned his 31-Aug date in and it still hasn't appeared on the lottery. By delaying there are fewer people that can make a trip on that short notice. If you however continue planning it as though it is going to happen you're all prepared.
I decided to try for any August date and got the first one I applied for.