Old 03-23-2012   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
ok then we could also get into strategies for reducing to speak.

One guide buddy of mine swore his outfitter started going heavy on cheese by day 2 or 3 on a five day trip to bind every one up, so they would make sure to only use two cans by the end. Not that is a shitty story.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #22
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
So when you have someone bring their own tp, then you have people walking around carrying their own personal roll around and sticking it in their drybag? Or their own raft or....just sounds cockeyed to me. All the poopy. Once the TP is removed from clean storage it should stay with TP supplies not go back into a dry bag or dry box after use.

That's gross. And if you tell me that you have never had an ... "issue" that caused at least a chance of getting your poopy hands on the roll or the zip lock, or had a TP breach code brown or whatever - you are fooling yourself.

If it hasn't it will. That's why I tell EVERYONE on my trips I want to see some hand washing everytime you step into the kitchen.
I totally agree with you about hand washing policy when entering the kitchen area, my rule too. As for tp, every boat should carry 4-6 rolls, depending on how many females, Mexican food recipes and days on the river (between 7-10).

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #23
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My 'River Otter' book recommends 9 big rolls for 18 persons on an 8 day trip. That works out to 1/16 of a roll per person per day....

The River Otter book is an excellent resource for this kind of info: River Otter, Handbook for Trip Planning: Authoritative Guide for Rafters, Kayakers, Canoeists (9780974004600): Maria Eschen: Books
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #24
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I am usually one of the people who brings the groover for trips, and it usually rides on my boat (lucky me). So I provide the TP, and all the other accessory items associated with the grooving process (groover deo/chemicals, hand sanitizer, etc.). After being on several group trips where members who were assigned group gear items forgot to bring them (important stuff like propane for example), I would much rather not leave the TP supply up to individuals. I can almost guarantee that at least one person would show up without any TP. I'd rather know for sure that we have enough. Just call me a control freak

kengore....thanks for the resource info. I've not seen that book before. Looks interesting.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #25
The 80525, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Bidet Buddy

I've been on a trip where everyone has forgotten TP. The easy solution was to assign a bidet buddy. A friend, relative, significant other maybe someone you just met would follow you to the groover with a loaded stream machine squirt gun in hand. When the groovin' was done your bidet buddy could then spritz you clean from a safe distance. A bidet spritz with cold river water in the morning is better than coffee and leaves you with a fresh and clean feeling. Never go rafting without one of those syringe type of squirt guns, they have so many excellent uses. This would also take the calculation of TP out of the trip equation.

Unfortunately my bidet dream never happend. Someone decided it was best to trek back to civilization for TP while we rigged and ran shuttle.
G-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #26
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Thank dog for this thread,

Up till now I was clueless when it came to what kind and how many shit tickets to bring.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #27
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
You guys are all full of shit. If you need to clean poo from your finger nails that's just plain gross.. I hope you carry a giant dawn bottle maybe some rubbing alcohol
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #28
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
A famos river outfitter taught us how to use only 1 sheet of tp per poo,yes it can be done! He learned it from a family trip with a group of little girls that used most of the tp in 2 days. For demenstration purpouses you need 1 square of tp. Ok here's the trick. Fold the sheet in half to a triangle shape,then fold in half again to make another triangle.Now carefully tear a small piece from the folded corner an set it aside (don't lose it!) Now do the poo,then unfold the single sheet of tp that now has a hole in the center of it.Place your index finger through the hole and do the cleaning job,then clean the finger.As for that little corner you saved? Use that to clean your finger nail.....Trust me this demonstration at the start of the tip will have everyone conserving tp!
When I used to do this demo I would put the small piece of tp from the middle of the sheet behind my ear. Then it is easy to grab with you clean hand.

Originally Posted by kengore View Post
My 'River Otter' book recommends 9 big rolls for 18 persons on an 8 day trip. That works out to 1/16 of a roll per person per day....

The River Otter book is an excellent resource for this kind of info: River Otter, Handbook for Trip Planning: Authoritative Guide for Rafters, Kayakers, Canoeists (9780974004600): Maria Eschen: Books
This sounds right to me. For commercial trips we would take one roll per day for groups up to 16 and two rolls per day for bigger groups. But it has to be the good stuff. 1000 sheets per roll, otherwise you will run out. And then bring a couple of extra rolls just in case.

Towards the end of a GC trip the barter system order of importance is: Beer, Ice, TP. (But that could be an entirely different thread)

You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote