Old 04-19-2008   #11
Meeker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
Just thought I would share that the once free got bought out by and is no longer free. sort of sucks, that was a pretty cool resource
Hello All. I am a wildlife biologist who spends as much time as possible on jobs in the ID/MT wilderness areas surveying unfamiliar country for this and that critter. I relied on topozone for the basics:
Entering a GPS coordinate and seeing that coordinate X'd on a topo map
Entering a landmark into topozone (such as Deer Lake) seeing the lake on a topo map amd clicking anywhere on the lake shore to view the coordinate.
Nothing fancy-but often vital for me in unfmiliar country.
I looked on the websites recommended earlier in your emails and canot find this service.
Any websites you know of that do?
thanks very much!

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #12
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Posts: 195 Download topos plus b/w satellite images, and toggle between views. Routes, waypoints, GPS interface, elevation data available (but a hassle). I load up what I need on the laptop and take it in the field. Sorta low-tech compared to Google Earth, but still very useful.

ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #13
Saratoga, New York
A replacement for got greedy, and their maps are so slow. I had an account at and it worked great, but when took over what a mess nothing worked. So I decided to start my own site where all information is free in a wiki format The Outdoor Wiki : Welcome to Get A The goal of the site is to let the camper and hiker add their own information for everyone else including maps. Like open source it is the way of the future.

daveythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote