Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-11-2012   #1
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Top things you look for in a creek/river running boat

Doing an article for an upcoming issue of Rapid Magazine and was wondering what the top things are that you look for/care about when deciding on a river running/creek boat (like the burn, diesel, mamba, etc.)

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine www.rapidmag.com
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers www.facebook.com/rapidmagazine
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Stability, speed, maneuverability, storage space, quality of material and build, good outfitting. Oh and it has to have a cool name.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I feel like the name is probably more important than anything else.
g_dUb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The quality of the plastic is a big deciding factor. My last boat was destroyed when it went through a IV at high water (by itself) and the nose was ripped open. My replacement boat has a reinforced hard plastic cap on the nose in addition to being made of blow-molded HTP. I feel more confident in the better plastic which is also more rigid, making the boat more responsive.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #5
Vail, Colorado
Color is key! If the color isnt all swirly and psychadelic then its not for me!

X2 on what Dave Frank said first. He hit the nail on the head.
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #6
Golden, Colorado
Speed, tracking, carving ability. It needs to handle like a sports car rather than a monster truck.

I disagree with Dave on the maneuverability. To me that means easy turning which is the opposite of tracking. It has to have some degree of maneuverability but not at the expense of tracking and speed. That's where I see the difference lies between creek boats (Villain) and river-running creek boats (Burn).

There is a trade off. It is understood that a river-running creek boat won't handle funky water and steep, rocky, low volume descents as well as a creek boat.

Both boats should boof easily. The creek boat, because it has a lot of rocker. The river-running creek boat because it can get up to speed and launch with a couple of strokes.

All good boats whether creek boats or river-running creek boats should have all-day comfort, easily adjustable outfitting, easily accessible storage space and durability.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote