Old 10-30-2007   #11
the mountainshop money is still around and matt is still working on it. my understanding is that they are still trying to get a goco grant for the rest of the money. if you want to donate you can find matt through the mountainshop phone number.

The real question is how did fort collins resident and billionaire pat striker decide to give the csu football team 13 million, but decided that the kayak park which only needs 150k total only deserved a 10k donation.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #12
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
The real question is how did fort collins resident and billionaire pat striker decide to give the csu football team 13 million, but decided that the kayak park which only needs 150k total only deserved a 10k donation.
Has anyone approached her about it? If no one has, she may not even know about it. Unless you travel in certain circles, it's pretty much unheard of.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #13
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Looks like someone approached her to get a $10k donation. That sucks.

Any idea how much more money is needed?
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #14
Originally Posted by newbalance View Post
With the water up through town we've been at the wave just east of College. Probably not for someone looking to do a lot of acrobatics, but a fun way to spend an hour in late october...I'll be down there today 4:30 to 6:15.
It has been quite fun. Played on it 3 of the last 4 days. The wave at
the dam is nice and smooth, but me being the inexpert surfer I am,
I have trouble getting and staying on it... Oh and I'd hate to miss
a roll and go down the next one upside down.

The second wave at the 3.2-3.4ft level is very nice and retentive.
Like you said not good for acrobatics, but very good for practicing
my surfing and control. It is shallow, but if you flip it squirts you
to deep water. Did find a few rocks, but nothing bad. Great eddy
access on it as well.

Further downstream had one or two smaller waves to play on, but
nothing as fun.

Was hoping to get a November day in, may have to see about heading
up to the Big T. and doing the Viestenz-Smith to Narrows section,
though not sure how that is at 300cfs, it was fun at ~500ish a few
years back.

johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #15
This effort and the monies are still in motion. Just last month the project recieved a nice donation from the DDA (Downtown Development Authority) to help drive it into adn through the design phase.
There is a lot of momentum behind it now and the powers that be are working hard to develop this properly.
There is consideration of using inflatable components that would allow for great features at different flows. I believe Avon/Eagle has something similar.
On top of that we are looking into a micro hydro option, that would produce electricity. The CSU engines lab is about 50 yards from the proposed site and this is one of the premiere engine sites in the country. Although this would be a small amount of energy production (20kw), it would be cool because of the short transmision required to the world class energy distribution projects going on at the lab.
This also goes into the Fort ZED intitative that is trying to make downtown Fort Collins a Zero Energy district. Yes 45 MW must be accoutned for, but we have some pretty slick plans, some very savy businesses, cool enough people and a nice wind farm up North that CSU should be able to bring some renewables to the plate with.

All that being said, I think we are still a year out on it. But good things come to those that wait and I believe that it will happen and it will be something that is more than just a hole to throw ends in.
I think Pat Striker will help out some more, but this is not the focus of their foundation and they are hit up with thousands of grant applications a year.

I would like to give Matt Evans from The Mountain Shop serious credit. Even with The Mountain Shop out of business, he contiues to work hard to make this project a reality for US.

Believe me I want it just as bad as anyone else, who doesn't like blunts for lunch?
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #16
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hey folks I think a play park in town would be fantastic.... However if Glade Reservoir goes in you may as well make the park double as a skate board park because all the water is going to being sitting up in Glade. What can you do? How about start by attending the Friends of the Poudre party upstairs at the Rio this Saturday. Starts at 6:30 pm tickets at the door $15 food and music and maybe some water for the park. If you can't make the party send them some $$$$ it's tax deductable. think about it.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote