Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-02-2016   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Tips and tricks for Waterton canyon / South Platte, CO are greatly appreciated.

Thinking about doing Waterton Canyon this Sat or Sun, I am planning on going super early as I hear it gets crowded this time a year, me and my buddy are also planning on walking the whole thing before floating it. We have heard that it is some re-bar danger in there, is it easy to find out / see where the re-bar is, so we don't do the mistake crashing with the "metal spaghetti"?.
Anything else we should know?

Thanks again for this awesome community of kayak helpers!

NorwayTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Mmm, I wouldn't be concerned about any of your concerns. There may be some people in there, but unless you're set on total solitude, there's no reason to be worried about crowds. There is some rebar in there, but I think you'd have to go looking for it to find it. Paddle 1/4 mi to first rapid. Walk down and look at the rest of the if you want. As easy as it gets to scout.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #3
Golden, Colorado
Not set on solitude, always fun to meet other kayakers. So, paddle about 14 " eddy out and walk and have a look>.. Sounds good, So not to worry about the Re-bar, thats good, as long as its not in the obvious line choice, as I will hopefully follow the easiest line choices.

Old 08-02-2016   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
In my opinion Waterton is not too crowded. Most of the cars you will see there are there for the hiking and mtn biking on the new trail they put in a season or two ago.

Waterton is very mello in the first half. I also recommend paddling in abut a half a mile and scouting from where the rapids start.

People say Waterton gets harder as you go down, in my opinion the first half is mello warm up and then there are a few Rapids at the end.

Entrance exam is the first long rapid you come to, then some boggie down to green bridge. There is no bridge and the rebar you speak of is bent downstream and is in place in the rocks in the center of the rapid.

Most folks enter left and move out to the middle, there is a camel toe boof as its called, in green bridge and that is where the rebar is.

There are 3 or 4 more Rapids after green bridge before it pools up at the bottom.

From entrance exam down is where people do laps on the Rapids, some just re run green bridge down a few times and hike out.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #5
Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think you might be mistaking the drunken idiot tubing crowd on the South Fork of the South Platte. I paddle Waterton a couple times a week, solo. Hardly ever see anyone in there. Rebar is not a huge concern, but its there, and something to be aware of.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #6
Golden, Colorado
Thanks guys, this sounds great. I am even more stoked to go float this section now!
Old 08-04-2016   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Never crowded. Put a beverage in your boat for the walk out. Run some laps on the lower section - the run is too short. At "avalanche," where the river is split by a boulder, there is a bit of a sieve danger on the left side of the rock. You'll see it when you scout and I think the only way the sieve would cause trouble would be if you were to fail surfing the tempting glassy wave above avalanche, flip, carp head downstream and somehow get your head jammed into the sieve.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #8
Golden, Colorado
Waterton was great. not crowded at all, saw about 7 - 8 kayakers walking around, but never once ran into anyone on the water. re-bar was easy to spot and avoid thanks for the help and advice, Will be going back there shortly!