Old 06-22-2005   #1
Time for action in Pueblo?

In today's Pueblo Chieftain (the local news paper) an article ran with the heading: "Rafting accident raises safety issues for city". In the article the kid's brother suggests putting up gates to keep kids out and the president of the city council raises the question of fencing off the entire park. The mother is quoted as saying, and I'm not joking: "the kayak course is basically a place for spawning death for children who are impoverished", saying that the park "caters to higher-income enthusiasts rather than average Puebloans".
I know emotions are high and most of this can probably be attributed to that fact. Most likely this whole issue will blow over in a week or two, but we should all keep an eye on how this is handled. The people of Pueblo will need to hear the other side of the story before too many people jump on this bandwagon.
If anyone has anything to say:

Letters to the Editor, Pueblo Chieftain, P.O. Box 4040, Pueblo, CO 81003

by e-mail:

All letters must include the author's full name, address and telephone number

magfaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #2
Moab, Utah
just a general question, did anyone at all (kayaks, rafts, tubers, idiots, anyone) float in the river BEFORE the park features were built? while it could be argued that the risk is slightly higher due to the park, the same risk of drowning still existed before the features were added.

the mother's quote:
"There should be somebody at the kayak park to monitor what people are using to ride the river," Carol McDaniel said.

like a parent? come on lady, take some responsability here for your actions.

another quote:
State law requires recreational users of the river to wear a life jacket, Zupancic (the Assistant Fire Cheif) said.

sorry to be brash, but this boils down to darwinism in effect, and the stupid lady got her kid killed instead of herself. flame if you must.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #3
pnw, Washington
I tried to tone that down but that is basically the note I sent to the paper. I pointed out that if these kids took this raft on any body of water with no pfd's that the outcome could have been the same. Should we fence off every reservoir in Colorado? I am sure this woman has a lot to deal with right now and I am sorry for her loss but for all she knew her kid could have been skateboarding on I25. Can we honestly as a society remove every hazard that a person can run into? No. These kids walked by a sign stating the law of requiring pfds and chose to disregard it. They would have climbed over a fence as well.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #4
I read somewhere that before the park was built it was illigal to swim in the Ark through Pueblo. That law was revoked for the park. I want to know if any kids swam in it then? Kids will always break the rules and do stupid things.

One kid was found dead today in the Springs in a culvert after the floods we had yesterday. He shouldn't of been playing in the creek either.

jj_luv2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #5

Link to the article in the Pueblo Chieftain.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #6
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
damn, i wanna punch this woman in the brain. Does anyone take accountability anymore. "Lets destroy these awful man-eating rapids", and the mountains too, cause i know someone who died there once. resorts, forget it, way to dangerous. Lets 86 all the ski resorts while we're at it. And, what about all those Alpine-slides, like the one in golden and Breck, those things have been pissin me off for years. When are we gonna make this state idiot-proof? Stop the madness
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #7
pnw, Washington
I was wrong to indicate that she didnt know where her kid was. She may have known and he may have disobeyed her instructions. I honestly have no idea.
Old 06-22-2005   #8
As the folks who directly benefit from this park, we need to stay on top of the issue as Magfaser suggests. This means trying to diffuse the anticipated tirade of negativity towards the park, all the while being mindful of the fact that this was a tragedy. So write into the paper, but be tactful.

Without a doubt, Sunday’s paper will be filled with a bunch of bullshit opinions similar to the quotes from today’s article. If you do write into the paper; obviously, do not mention anything akin to “natural selection at work.”
Staj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #9
I see this every day I paddle, I was even talking to a park ranger I was paddling with today about it.

The Law states that everyone on a single chamber inflatable including inner tubes must be wearing a pfd and that includes not just the rivers he told me even on lakes like Chatfeild. Today I saw 9 people float past without them. Wish I could write the tickets too.
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #10
pnw, Washington
When the park was just getting started I ran into one of the Pueblo City Councilman that supported the park. I gave him very positive feedback and thanked him. He wanted some written feedback and he gave me his card so I sent him some emails but they came back undelivered. I still have the card so I called him today but he is out of town. I will keep trying him and if he wants more POSITIVE feedback I will post a message out here and take the best of the notes and fedex them to his office. Lets see what we can do to support the people who supported us.

"the kayak course is basically a place for spawning death for children who are impoverished", saying that the park "caters to higher-income enthusiasts rather than average Puebloans".
After rereading this quote from the mother, who talks this way? Impoverished? Especially when they are upset. This is lawyer speak, she is already setting up to sue the city.