Old 06-23-2005   #31
Originally Posted by TimWalker
I was at the park last night and just thought what a tragedy it was for the family - I also had selfish thoughts about how I love number 4 and 6 at 2200 cfs....I think the boating community should embrace her right now (before the scumbag lawers)...
Yep, I was out there yesterday and had the same thoughts. I felt awkward about playing in 3 while the search continued. On that note, I will be out there searching when the level drops. My feeling is that we will have to wait until the level drops substantially to find him.

For the most part, I agree with you Tim; which is odd, given your label of lawyers being scumbags. Or was it scumbag lawyers? Regardless, we should try and do something for the family, embrace the parents as you stated. Rodeo sounds good. I’ll bring this up to Bob at The Edge.

However, the more the parents place blame and indict others, the more difficult it is to be empathetic/sympathetic. I, for one, am completely irked that people are placing blame on the park. As others have expressed, this has happened before and without the park in place. If it gets out of hand (the negativity), we need to protect our self interests.

Staj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #32
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Staj - I agree with protecting the parks image and the positive posturing is important for the public's perceptions. As for the lawyer comment, it was too general, I'm often guilty of that. I was specifically referring to the ambulance chasing lawyers that cost us billions by abusing the law - case in point is the McDonalds coffee incident, or the class action suit where I and thousands of other customers of Citibank were awarded checks for pennies and the law firm made millions (my check is for 8 cents and I have it displayed in my cubicle).

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #33
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I think educating the public would also help. Shutting down the river to tubbers is a good idea, I just don't know how politically correct it would sound. *like when they want to shut down the river to kayakers*. Bottom line, when you are wearing a life vest your chances of survival increase. Its similar to wearing a seatbelt in a car. 75% of peeps who die in a Rollover accident were not wearing seatbelts.... while 25% were.... I think educating the public, and getting across that the river is a fun natural resource....but like any resource, some precautions are imminent....(snow-avalanches)

this is one of the only times youd hear me preach on education....

Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #34
A superb idea

A benefit rodeo is an awesome suggestion. I too will do my part and talk to Bob and others to see what can be done. Excellent, excellent suggestion.
whitewater wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #35
pnw, Washington
If you guys need help with this, have Bob give me or one of the reps from the PPWC a call or post out here and we will get involved as well.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #36
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I spoke with Bob @ The Edge. He thinks it is a great idea to have a benefit rodeo. He said he can handle permits, he stated that they can get a rodeo surge of +1000 for an event, and he also has access to a PA system. He said they're already at work to gather local communities and educate them as to the dangers of moving water. I've never organized a rodeo so looking for some talent here...any folks involved in the Denver, Golden, Summit or Upper Ark valley rodeo circuits care to participate (Mike Paris, Hobie, Earl, PT or others).
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #37
wannabe raft guide/kayak instructor
I want to thank all of you for your discussion on the topic and working toward figuring out what needs to be done. I was one of the last to see the boy alive (from a distance) and have really been struggling with myself for not saying something to him and the other 2. Please keep this post updated on what is being planned so that I can help and be a part of it.

Also, as far as keeping tubes out, I really don't know how you can do that without closing the park in general. I am all in favor of the education proposition.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #38
pnw, Washington
rwc, I felt the same way when I helped someone down there and they lived. Honestly, many of us have spoken to people down there and they disregarded the advice. Everyone there did what they could from what I hear. Dont beat yourself up and find some peace.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #39
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rusty, ease up on yo self. It they didn't listen to the sign they walked past they wouldn't have listened to a Texan. I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that afternoon's events would have unfolded any differently...except you might have gotten the finger.

BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote