Old 03-04-2014   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Throw bags!

So I have been looking around for throwbags recently as I am starting to look for the upcoming season. However I have found some non popular brand ones for much cheaper than the nrs ones, for example. I have posted a link below of what I am talking about. Is there a significant difference between this type of rope and the nrs ones? Thanks Liberty Mountain Boater's Throw Bag (70-Feet): Sports & Outdoors

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The throw bag websites have descriptions of the rope the $35 one has 1600Ib tensile strength and the NRS one has 1900 Ibs.

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
No carabiner is the only thing I notice. As long as you can add your own, I would think it would work fine.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
Custom Throw Bags

This link is for a local SWR Instructor / boater who makes first class throw bags with mods you want at a reasonable price.

He has made several bags for me and they have been bomber.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #5
Eagle, Colorado
thanks for all the replies. I just posted this specific throw bag as an example; there are many others in addition to this one. It seems that throw bags from marine websites in general are less expensive.Is there a significant difference?
Old 03-05-2014   #6
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I just finished researching throw bags and ended up landing on salamander large river dart. I needed a large do everything throw bag so I purchased the 70' dart with spectra cord. Got it the other day and the quality is exceptional. The quick disconnect is awesome, and you can throw it like a football. 3500 lb tensile strength!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1033432225.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	7776  
GROH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #7
Seattle, Washington
If you want the best bag you can get: Water Rescue Throw Bags, Lifelines - DownStream Products

it ain't the cheapest tho. you get what you pay for.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
There are really two factors that you should look at in a throw bag in my opinion. Tensile strength of the rope and length of rope. These are the starting point for picking the one that you need. I like to have spectra rope, I use my throw bags as pieces in my pin kit so I do not have to carry extra rope. I carry two throw bags with spectra bags one is 70' and the other is 55' long and one nylon and 50' long.

70' bit on the long side for rescuing a swimmer, usually hard to hit a swimmer at 70' and if miss and have to do a coil toss it can be tough.

Then other suggestion I would make it to get a waist bag, you always have it with you and you know where it is. It also help if your boat gets pinned and you can't get to your pin kit on the boat.

I always carry a small pin kit on my person just in case. I carry a few beeners, two plastic pullies (Ultralegere Pulley : Rock Climbing Gear :, and a couple prusik cords.

Hope this help and I also agree you get what you pay for. Skimping on rescue gear?
jspoon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #9
Eagle, Colorado
Not so much skimping on the rescue gear, more just wondering what makes the two bags different since the specs seemed about the same. The nrs compact rope had 1000lbs of strength, while the other one that I posted a link to in the original post had 1600lbs. All the other specs seemed to be the same, so I was wondering what makes the nrs one $20 more?
Old 03-05-2014   #10
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Huge selection of throw ropes...

If your ever passing by Ten Mile Creek Kayaks on I70, we pride ourselves on a huge selection of different types of throw bags. From $35 up to $125, poly to spectra, worn ones to not. Salamander, Liquidlogic, Stohlquist, WSRI, Astral, to our own custom TMCK, 50 to 100 feet. Good luck on your quest...

Keep The Hairy Side Up.....

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote