Old 08-07-2008   #1
ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
thoughts on wavesport plastic and design

looking for your oponions again i want to see if memory serves me correctly so give me and the rest of us your thoughts and opinions please on wavesport play boats good/bad plastic/design and anything else you can come up with and why not throw in your preffered boat/maker and a quik explination of decisions for all the newbees out there that arent millionares thanks lets try to stick with playboats and creekers as much as we can

helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #2
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Design: the project is the best playboat ever made. The habitat is a solid creek boat for sure. Plastic: wavesport plastic sucks period. best plastic is probably prijon, but wavesport plastic is the worst. I paddle a project 52, a great boat, shitty plastic, and a Jefe grande, great boat, good plastic.

fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wavesport customer service sucks

I have a friend that paddled a WS Project 52 for about 9 months, scraped it against a ledge drop in the Stoner Stampede on the Dolores breaching the plastic and causing it to take on water and they wouldn't warranty the boat. He ended up having to trash it because the cost to repair the leak was more than the cost to get a new boat...
On the other hand, I have a friend who had a similar situation scraping rocks in Zoom Floom in Browns in a Fun, and Jackson replaced the boat - no questions asked.
I paddle a Liquid Vision 56, and Liquid Jefe - no problems with the plastic -and I tend to be pretty rough on them.
Hope the info helps, HAPPY PADDLING!
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #4
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have an EZG that has the infamous cockpit plastic problem. I contacted customer service several times and they did'nt even take the time to call me back. Other people I know that had similar problems with the EZG plastic were able to get them warrantied by working thru the shop they bought the boat from. No such luck for me as the shop i bought it from went out of buisness (Mtn Shop in FC) in between when I bought the boat and had the plastic problems. I ended up fixing it myself.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #5
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
project is a fine design, but to say it is the best playboat ever is kind of silly.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #6
Let's set the record stright once and for all on the EZG problem.
I was NOT the plastic that caused the problems with the cockpits tearing, it was the lack of plastic in the cockpit rim (plastic to thin). We were shipped boats that had holes under the cockpit rim.

As far as breaking, I work in a Shop and get to see alot of broken boats.
All the major players are represented in my broken boat pile!!! Yes even Jackson, stop in and take a look.
Right now the biggest part of the pile is Jackson and Liquid Logic does that mean they now have the worst plastic????

No it means that is what more people are buying right now!!!!!

Remember there is no "bad" plastic, just "bad" lines... It is Colorado your paddling so stop seal launching and splatting rocks and creeking low water!!!!!!

My favorite is "I didn't feel anything it just broke" as I am looking at a foot long gouge leading up to the crack.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've had nothing but good luck. I've owned 3 Wavesports, never had a problem, and been really happy with the designs. I take my EZG down Clear Creek all the time (shallow blasted rock), and even low water black rock runs, and generally try to splat every rock I see on Ark runs. I think I've had it 3 seasons now and it's not showing any signs of wear besides your usual scratches. Every other brand of boat I've owned has cracked. I know there was a run of bad cockpits on the EZGs but that was fixed. I also know people have had a lot of trouble with their warranty department in the past, but I think I heard something about new management that's addressed the problem.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Love my EZG50

Bought a new EZG50 last spring (cause I was worried about it breaking), haven't had ANY problems, and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It plays and runs well, and I doll it a beating, wave wheeling shallows where I end up w/ bloody toes, and splating/boofing anything I can. Loops are beyond my ability, so haven't put that particular stress on my cockpit, but I can have fun on flat water, or will take it down Gore (only once so far, but I'd still prefer it in there to my Jefe). I love the that particular design, and am actually surprised that it hasn't broken given how I treat it. I do however, keep it in the garage at all times when I am not using it. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of broken boats out there (aside from defects like the EZG cockpit rim) are at least partially due to excess and unnecessary solar radiation due to improper storage... I know slackers who keep their boats on their cars... (Yeah, I'm talking to you!)
My 2 cents
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #9
ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
thanks for all the responses i put mone down on a new (yes i know its an old out of date boat) dagger crazy 88 today (530 us out the door brand new never wet) ill just hope the plastic holds up for me i have been having problems finding a play boat for my size and frankly dont feel like spending 1000+ on a boat right now so ill start with that and go for it thanks again for the posts and pleas feel free to continue the posts how about some other manufact? dagger jackson .... ect let it all out

helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote