Old 12-02-2004   #31
C. Springs, Colorado
Several things come to mind when I think about doing anything that's high adventure, Solo.

1 Good judgment usually comes from a bad experience, which was due to some sort of bad judgment.

2 If you do not properly plan and take into consideration the risks of the adventure you are embarking in. You leave the successful outcome of the experience in the hands of fate.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #32
Well, no disrespect to big boater and the other soul boaters out there but, are you guys serious?

If you were solo, and in a situation where normally a friend could pull you free, but solo you were unable to exit and pinned with your head underwater, I wonder if your last few thoughts would be, 'oh well, that just goes with the territory in solo boating.' Or would you be thinking, "Damn, I really screwed up this time." As your chest begins to convulse and you begin taking in water, the reality would set in that you will not make it back, I have a feeling that at that point, at that moment in time, you would wish that you had never boated solo.

Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #33
i hear ya, de la boot. i would feel pretty stupid if i died boating alone. however... a little video boating is all it took to get me started solo boating. i don't choose to boat alone if i can help it, but sometimes if i can't find me mates... i know that i always boat way more conservatively alone, but i also know i'm way more vulnerable, and i never run the hard stuff alone. granted, i'm probably just as likely statistically to eat it in class 3. my favorite things about solo boating are the sounds. i seem to hear more of the river song when my mouth is shut. read that article in the new AW about winter in alberton gorge. it pretty much spells it out.
mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #34
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Hate to break it to you la boot,but when your pinned under water you think shit this is it,the worst position to be in...Friends or no friends the thought I'm 100% sure is the same....

If you are "solo'ing class 3 or 4 sure the team can give you a needed hand in the time needed for a rescue(most of the time),but in class 5 very few people are can move around in the intensity in a timely manner needed for a rescue...Not say it does'nt happen,as it has to me...Just saying sure friends help out alot when it comes to less skilled paddlers pushing their limits....I also agree with the above post's that friends make the experience great....I wrote this a few years ago----

Paddling: Is it worth the risk?

This past June I had to do a lot of soul searching when my
hero and friend died in upper South Boulder Creek. It was a
bad day in a place I have had other bad days in, as I almost died there the year before in an
underwater wedge pin.

My wife, family, and non paddling friends ask me
why I do this sport. They think I'm just an adrenaline
junkie. I’ve said, “If you don't do it you won’t
understand”, yet, I still need to explain it to them. It’s as much for me as for them.

This sport is not about the big drops or who’s the
best. It's about friends, unreal places, personal
limits, and mental strength. This sport brings all walks
of life together in search of the same goal, to live life
to the fullest.

We all have friends we have known for years or grown
up with. I have a group of eight
or so paddling friends that I have spent the last 5 years with,
paddling all over the country. These people are
some of the most important people in my life - on and
off the water. Most people don't or won’t ever be called to put their
lives at risk for a friend. In kayaking, it happens
everyday somewhere in the world. Water enthusiasts
are special people with special values that create an
untouchable bond between everyday paddling
partners. Friends are the reason we are out there.

The places that I have been kayaking and what I’ve witnessed from being in my boat are
simply beyond words. I've seen bear, moose, bobcat, mountain lions, bald
eagles hit the water and come out with a fish in their tallons. Towering
walls hundreds of feet above me, and trees so thick they
create a roof over the river. From the aqua blue water in
Washington, to the crystal clear water of California, to
the Rocky Mountain watershed, whitewater let's us have a purpose
and a motivation to get out and see the world how it
was meant to be discovered.

You don't have to be an “adrenaline junkie” to
set and achieve your personal limits in
whitewater. Everyone has their comfort zone. Some like
it right there and others push themselves to a higher
level. Either way, you’re out there getting it done.

Whitewater enthusiasts are beyond the
norm in mental toughness. They make life-threatening
decisions on their own and then follow those
decisions through. Whitewater is no joke, it's
relentless, unstoppable, and lethal for egos and for those who show a lack of
respect. Whether it be Class 3 or Class 5, when I am out with my buddy's, I make my own decision to run or walk, to go left or right. This is an important process
that takes place a hundred times a run. Daring someone to run something is usually not
tolerated. It's an individual sport, so you live and die
by your decisions.

My favorite thing about kayaking is searching for
that perfect moment we all have had while paddling. I
like the focus I get above a big and scary drop (it's
like tunnel vision). I like seeing some of my closest
friends smiling and sharing what we have or are
doing; looking up into the chaos after a run and
knowing for this day the river made you special. The
beauty of the unseen places that only a small watercraft can
get to. The serenity and peacefulness, the
campfires and the quality of people you spend these
moments in life with. The bottom line is, whitewater is
about the people next to you, so yes, it's worth the
risk to me.
Gary Edgeworth
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #35
quote...."'oh well, that just goes with the territory in solo boating.' Or would you be thinking, "Damn, I really screwed up this time."

I'd prob be thinking both of these statements. But, like I said....the risk are extreme but so are the rewards. I accept the fact that if I screw up solo paddling that I'm to blame for making that choice.

Gary, thanks for posting that again. The sad tale of Paul's death shows that we, as kayakers, are all in a solo sport in alot of ways even when paddling with a group. We all ultimately die alone.

tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #36
I don't know if this is something to be proud of, but I like to think of myself as being quite talented at getting un-pinned. I developed this talent because I always assume that no one is there to help me. People who just sit and wait for their bro to come and rescue them are just asking for trouble. Even if you are with a group, help can be 10 min away. By the time the group realizes there is a problem and then get into position, critical time is lost. I play a subconscious game with my self when I get pinned. If a member of the group notices I'm pinned, I've taken too long to get off. If a member of the group has to help me, then I failed. I am proud to say I've never (that I can remember) been in a situation where I would have been in serious peril if I didn't have help - after 12 years of boating and hundreds of pins (knock on wood).

Being self sufficient if is very important. When you get into a situation that requires help, you not only expose yourself to longer periods of danger, but you put members of the group at risk. I'd feel pretty stupid dieing in a class III rapid, but I'd feel even stupider if my best friend got injured or killed trying to save me.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #37
While I respect Bigboaters thoughts on the importance of self reliance. It is often times not the answer to the problem. Given every situation is different, but there are times when it is best to wait for help to arrive. Take this example. While on a muliday trip this summer I was forced to deviate from the described route to avoid my one of my paddling partners who was stuck in a hole. In doing so I was forced into a spot that had no exit other than the way I had went in. However, doing so was not possible due to the heavy current pushing me into my little nook. Yes, I could have jumped out of my boat(maybe) and risked losing all my shit since I would have had to drop my paddle and let go of my boat to get onto the rocks that were surrounding me. The better choice in this case was to wait it out since A. I was in a stable position(relatively) and B. I know my team was aware of my predicament. While this waiting for help would endanger my would be rescuer, the alternative would have been to further complicate the trip by losing EVERYTHING to the unrelenting rapids immediately downstream. (Chasing the runaway boat was not an option) Therefore I chose to hang out and wait for my team to get into position which was extremely nerve racking for me. I must point out that while in am waiting I am considering my options. Trying to remain as stable as possible but also trying to figure out what is going on around me. Turns out I was sitting on top of a sieve/drain which started to really scare the shit out of me since I was seeing no real way of my team getting to me. Anyway to make a long story shorter everything worked out. However, had I made a rash decision and jumped out of my boat things could have been very different.
As you can see it comes down to a judgment call much like the subject of this thread. Solo paddling is great. It's not for everyone, but if you use your brain it can be done in a relatively safe manner that will most likely lead to some of your greatest experiences in paddling and this includes class 5. Although I must admit there are definately some things I wouldn't do solo. Then again not all class 5 is created equal.

Gary- Your writing reminds me of the Article Doug Ammons wrote a few years ago "The Real Shit-Why we paddle class 5" Mountainfreak Spring '99 While we will never fully be able to explain this to non-paddlers it helps put it in perspective. Thanks for the reminder
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #38
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Big boater,I was saved by my friend Dave in the situation in my article so I cannot say I have not had the help of my bros when it counted cause I have,but I do not feel I would have gotten in the situation I was in if I was leading or solo'ing,I may have swam but definatly would not have been where I was without the signal....

Thanks for the article j.d i'll check it out...

"We all ultimately die alone" True statement Tom....The tough times for the paddlers are the ones who were there watching there friend go down and knowing theres nothing you can do for them...That's the reality 80% of the time...Be safe out there and have fun doing whatever you want to do on the water,it's cool just to have people like us getting out there and enjoying what we have with no regrets...
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #39
pnw, Washington
I am surprised that this thread is still going. I have not solo boated but I plan on doing it some this year and hitching my shuttle. I see it as being compared to solo drinking....socially frowned upon but hey sometimes its the right choice. It comes down to making a choice and being able to deal with the consequences.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #40
Hey JD how's it going. Thanks for calling me out on that last post. I should have thrown in disclaimer. There are definitely situations were it is best to wait and a rash decision could make matters worse. When I made that statement, I was picturing a friend (who you know, but I won't name names) that always just hung out when he got pinned. Most of the time the pin was minor, but he would be convinced that he was going to die and yell for help when all he had to do is push off the dam rock without missing a beat. I guess the point I was trying to make is that it pays to learn how to be self reliant rather than always waiting for help. Give me an email sometime.

Gary, I didn't mean any disrespect toward the story. I was on USB that fateful day. We were one group ahead of Paul's. My friend and I had to help the third member of our party to the hospital due to a dislocated shoulder, when we got back to our boats we were greeted by the search and rescue squads. It took a while to absorb what was happening. I didn't know Paul, but that day still haunts me. It took me a while to get my head straight, not that I ever fully recovered. I don't think I will ever be able to do USB again. You have my deepest condolences.

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote