Old 12-01-2004   #21
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
So what is your favorite method of shuttle when soloing?

I have a small dual sport motorcycle that is street legal. It fits on rack that is attached to the back of my car. I drop my boat off at the top then drive down to the bottom with my car. After that I ride back up to the top on the motorcycle and lock it to a tree. The rack cost $250 which is more than worth it if you already have a bike.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #22
I'm with ya. I have a KLR250 and I don't know how I ever survived with out it. Not only is it good for soloing, but it eliminates the need for two cars on long group trips. Best of all, sometimes the shuttle is more fun than the river. The Chukar trail take out was such a blast, I almost didn't meet the boyz back at the put in last time. Plus, it provides endless entertainment when hanging out at camp for extended trips. Why don't more people do this?

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #23
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
SOlo is so fun.

I think that soloing is the ultimate experience, I also think it is good training for when you are out with a partner and something goes wrong and you need to take action. I solo all sorts of outdoor mediums including rock, ice, skiing, paragliding, kayaking, and biking. I have learned not only things about myself but also technical and logistical aspects about each sport. I highly recommend doing solo missions every now and again. I'll add to that recommendation that it is wise to take basic precautions like informing someone where you are going or when you will return and that it might be wise to solo a couple grades below your ability. However, pushing your limits alone in the middle of nowhere 1000ft up a route or 1000ft deep in a river gorge and having the trip be successful can be one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #24
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I'm with you folks...Solo'ing can be a great experience and is for me...I love my alone time in the great outdoors...Good shit...
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #25
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
hmm,.... i'll go solo again and again....usually because somebody will not go with me...and of coarse there isn't ANYBODY THAT CAN GET YOUR ASS out of a jam...(read: solo!)....."don't be an ASS"...have somebody with you"......go solo some thing and then tell me the gig!......SOUL BOATERS GO SOLO......
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #26
I personally enjoy solo paddling....maybe more than with others. The reasons vary as described in the other responses but it gets down to the fact that it's much more intense. Your nerve endings are on fire and the clarity of the immediate moment is a feeling beyond any other I have ever experienced. It takes alot of confidence in yourself and your skills with the attitude of "mistakes are not acceptable". The risks are extreme but so are the rewards.

tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #27
pnw, Washington
Glad to see you back, Tomcat.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #28
I have done some solo boating and have found the experience to be just that, an experience. I can't say that it was better than most of my trips with friends. I love seeing a friend drop over the horizon line, that is just about as much fun as doing it. I love seeing the eyes of a friend pop out of their skull and their grin reaching their ears. I love sharing the moments with people.

Last year, someone was soloing on the Poudre and ended up dead. I am sure he was enjoying his solo 'spirtual' experience. Really growing as an indivdual, exploring his limits and his abilities. He was a soul boater. If a partner would have been there, he might still be alive.

I guess safety is the issue. I think you can greatly reduce the risk spoken of above if you are with someone else. I think that as more people get into this sport, it is important for them to know that going with others is the safest way to do it.

I mean do you really like to have safety meetings alone. If so, maybe that is the real problem or real question.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #29
And If he never went kayaking to begin with, he would almost definitely still be alive.

In response to to typing in "solo" and on AWA and getting accident reports, try typing in kayaking or whitewater and see how many accident reports you get. This shit is dangerous, and the amount of danger we put ourselves in is relative. You think soloing is crazy, playboaters think creekboaters are crazy, class II boaters think class III boaters a crazy, and your grandma thinks we're all crazy. And everyone is right.

You can't strap your carcass into a vessel roughly equivalent to a barrel, then throw the package off a waterfall and say that you are a good judge of what is safe. Cuz let me tell you, the safest thing to do is to not leave the couch.[/quote]
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #30
Mad Scientist/Creeker
You know what I like to do when I solo; I like to go to a challenging yet not death defying section (for me Poudre Narrows or Bailey or something else I've run way too many times) and to put-on and not stop. Just feel the flow of the river and run the shit at no one else's pace but the the rivers' and your own. No scouting, no eddies, no lunch, nothin'. And when I'm done, man do I feel refreshed and just so damn happy to be alive. Straight solo-shot in rhythm with the river... I solo because sometimes everyone else is lame, or has school or work or whatever and fuck it man, I just want to get WET. Period.
My paddling friends rule though! I wouldn't be where I am or who I am today without them. Thanks team.

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote