Old 11-27-2004   #11
Solo boating is great and all but if you are going to go into a run knowing that you are going to walk a bunch of rapids that you would want to run if yoür ¨frineds¨were with you, why not just take a backpack and hike the black, or go for a hike in CB, much eaiser then walking around all the rapids that you would normaly run

the water is great down here, you are missing out on some great flows

Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #12
fayetteville, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1991

I always like someoe there to tell the insurance company what happened

paddledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #13
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
jimmy hinge...come on dude.....most of my solos are part of multisporting events...MUCH more to think about than DAYWRECKER, LOWER INTESTINE, PRINCIPALS OFFICE and SIEVE CITY? i need to run these to make you happy? the "lonliness factor" does come into effect, boat choice and desire play in as well... i'd love to run a couple of the bigger ones but jesus hinge....tell you what, would it make you happy if i pulled off the solo cave-man-style-.... as you and melentrod have suggested? i'm in dire need of your approval...fuck nut!!! have fun in chile...heard the puesco was rocking!!!!be safe and try not to go caving again....we got pounded yesterday..went out with the HOLLYWOODMAN....3+ feet yesterday in SKYland....i'll start looking for tickets for when you get back....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think that soloing is fine depending on the river, conditions, exposure that you're looking at, and severity of the risks involved. I like to get out by myself on some stretches of river but tend to be much more conservative with what I run and how I run it.

Its a judgement call - you just need to make sure you've got good judgement.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #15
Originally Posted by benrodda
I guess this can be seen two ways, but I have always felt that it demonstrates a huge lack of respect to put your life in someone elses hands when running a really hard stretch. ... I would almost suggest that if you cant solo it then maybe you shouldnt do it at all?
Ben: It’s a good point; however we all need to start somewhere and we all need direction & inspiration. I don’t know you, but I suspect that without your paddling crew, you wouldn’t be half the boater you are today. I know it is true for me... Nothing more than a thought.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #16
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

Yeah man you are dead on...... it was just a point about the position you put your friends in when pushing yourself beyond your limits.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Spencer's point is very true. It is usually your friends that push your limits. When you are learning to boat trying to follow somebody better is always a good way to learn some new lines. As you get better your ability level will seem to hit plateau's. It's your friends that are better than you that help you push to the next level. Then when you get to a higher level of paddling you can push your friends ability levels.

As far as paddling solo...There is just sometimes when none of those friends are around to paddle with you. I solo Pine Creek all of the time. It's not because I feel like soloing something...It's because I just want to paddle and nobody else is around!!!!!!! I am fully addicted to paddling and just because some of my friends can't paddle that day doesn't mean it should ruin my opportunity to paddle. When I was learning my most frustrating moments came not while actually paddling but from trying to find people to paddle with that day!

Anyway...I am going to go solo some oceans waves today...I hope I don't get pinned in the sand!

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #18
It's true that friends push your limits and that more thank likely, you would be with friends when you try something over your head. Still, running solo can turn what is normally a simple situation into a fatal situation. Case in point:

Last year I wanted to run Buttress section of Boulder Creek, from 4mile down. My friends were unavailable so I decided to run it solo. It's fun class IV creeking that I had done 50 times before so I wasn't too worried. Well, I ended up stuck on a slightly submerged and undercut boulder with half of boulder creek smashing into my hull. Had I been with even one other boater they could have very, very easily pulled me off the rock and without my head getting wet I could have paddled on. As it were, I was stuck for a solid 10 minutes, unable to peel off or exit as my boat slowly inched further under the rock and further pinched me into my cockpit. Finally, in an act of desperation, I was able to make a twisted, one leg at a time exit (the kind of exit that makes you think you'll need to break both legs to get out) as my boat was sucked under the edge of the rock and flushed downstream. That could have been ugly, not to mention the fact that a one person boat rescue in consistent rapids is a challenge in itself.

I'm all for excitement and I'm willing to accept the dangers of boating. But I would feel like a complete ass if I lost my life on a simple stretch of Class III-IV all because there was no one there to laugh at me as they gave my grab loop a firm tug.

Don't be an ass. Paddle with someone.
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #19
What about hiking solo. I don't think many would condemn a person for tackling such a feat. In fact, hundreds of people do it every year from Georgia to Main. I've been backpacking solo several times and it is amazing. It is simply a completely different experience than hiking with a group. However, every time I do it I can't help but to wonder what would happen if I slipped and broke a leg miles from help. I could die and it would be very easy to do. Arguably as easy as getting pined. So the moral of the story is never do anything alone. Lets face it, everything we do has risks. Anyone who thinks that kayaking solo is irresponsible should probably not kayak, because kayaking is irresponsible. I mean when you look at it, we drive hundreds of miles with two cars to put our selves in serious danger floating down a river that was already explored days ago by other kayakers, decades ago by engineers, centuries ago by miners/trappers/explorers, and Millenia ago by native Americans. We are accomplishing nothing except our own fulfillment. So if kayaking solo is a risk that one feels is worth taking, then do it. I have kayaked solo many times and enjoy it very much. I try to do it as little as possible, but sometimes the choice comes down to kayak solo or don't kayak, and I've always been happy with my decision.

P.S. Don't forget to think twice before stepping off the curb when you trek to the car today. Don't want to be irresponsible.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Well said BigBoater!!

Everything is a risk. There is a risk in driving down the street in your car. There is a risk skiing down a green run at a mega ski resort. There is a risk walking down the sidewalk. There is a risk in taking a girl home from the bar! There is a risk in getting food poisening from Toxic Bell. There is a risk in getting pinned and drowning with or without your friends. There is risk in everything. Some risks are lesser than some but none the less they are a risk. Each person chooses these risks everyday...whether or not it is a serious risk or a minor risk is the choice you can make for yourself.

So pick your risk in life and enjoy them while you can. This might sound morbid but it's a truth to life.."We all end up in a box 6 feet under one way or the other." If it scares you to solo kayak...THEN DON'T DO IT! Just live your life for each day...whether it's solo kayaking, kayaking w/ friends, skiing a steep chute, working, being with your family, playing poker, drinking Budweiser's, whatever it is just enjoy it because it really could be your last. Today...Is all you really have! Yesterday is gone, tomorrow hasn't even happened, so enjoy today.

"life is a calculated risk...think about the risk you are about to take...if it serves your purpose in life then grab it by the horns and go for a ride!"

marko is offline   Reply With Quote