Old 04-26-2005   #21
Bro Bra Blah Blah Blah
Lakehood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 99
Send a message via AIM to K2boater
SJ, I still am in contact with all, its the jonesing of knowing that I could be dirtbagging it for another summer, everyday if I choose to do it and the thought that I now have become tied to travel only on weekends.

The crew is heading down tonight for some Boulder night-life!!!!!!!

K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #22
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
How about Lyons as a Front Range town to live in? Seems like a nice small town with a growing whitewater scene on the St. Vrain. Not to far from the Poudre, and great mountain biking.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #23
The Wash Park area is imo the best place in the front range. So matty i hear ya. My 6 year old just requested a trip there to roller blade. Were petty much on the same page. enjoy basalt. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #24
K2boater : I was just askin about you the other day. Did not know know about the big move. When are you going to come up and show us all how to boat?...........By the way you missed missed partyboy break his cherry on the chute. A whole 300 cfs it was funny. Hope to see you up here in the mountains soon to join all of us cool guys throw the vibe when we paddle.

Waterpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #25
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I live in Denver now and I have grown to like it a lot more than I thought. I moved down from Boulder a year ago because I couldn't afford anything but a tiny condo in that town.

I lived in Durango for almost seven years. I still own a house at the top of Durango Hills on about 5 acres and I can see all the way to New Mexico from my deck. I truly love it down there.

However, I found that the type of concessions you have to make down there to be able to sustain a good life (career, advancement, and yes, compensation) are tough to swallow. I know a lot of folks that are not using their degrees or have to settle for jobs that pay less than they're worth.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that the opportunities are fewer and farther between. Some folks make it work, but it isn't easy. Most of my close group of friends from the mid-90's in Durango have left to go to school, moved for better jobs, or left for other opportunities. Some of the folks that are still there have family support, and others have carved out a niche by getting government jobs such as teaching or are content with working construction or service jobs. Not that there's anything the matter with any of those choices. (Mattyb is right, though- being single in the mountains can be feast or famine, and the options are, shall we say, limited.)

As it turns out, the front range is a pretty nice balance between living in the mountains and living in a career-oriented city. I imagine that some of these guys that are enamored with living in the mountains will stick it out, but some of them will "gobacktothefrontrange" and pursue other opportunities while attempting to find that balance between ambition and lifestyle.

I don't think we should apologize or make excuses for giving up the mountain life for our career choices or otherwise. The fact is, some of the best boaters, climbers, skiers , etc live in the Front Range. I like the fact that I went mountainbiking 10 minutes from my house in February about once a week. I had to drive to Farmington or Moab when I was in Durango- not bad options, though.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #26
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
the facts as i see 'em: 1] boulder sucks 2] i don't think kayaking in the polluted s. platte should count as kayaking, it is disgusting. 3] denver living can be a good thing. 4] summit county pretty much sucks as well. in my experience, the quality of life in the SW part of the state is the best for what i am looking for. sort of where the mts. get closer to the desert. [only lacking an urban center like denver within a reasonable drive]
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #27
BV, Colorado
correct me if im wrong, but i dont think any mountain town has fewer women than bv. the weather here is amazing, and thats why no ski resort will ever spoil the valley with bumper to bumper condos. you can trail run 95% of the year on the hill above the hole. the house im building will be less than 50 yards from three new play features going in in the fall. denver is a cool town and enjoy haning out there frequently, but, if i had to fight rush hour, im sure id end up in jail. money is tight, but it is priceless how many times in january and february i got to say to friends and family while overlooking the town and valley from the midland trails, "can you believe how warm and beautiful this place is?" just a few more women folk, then id be ok.

esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #28
The next zone, .
My 2 cents for those who do not care.

1. All of Summit is part of the Front Range. Yes even Breck.
2. Steven is right the best part of Colorado is the SW part. Far from the Front Range.
3. Every place in Colorado has some positive aspects. Even Trinidad and Greeley.
4. The Front Range sprrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwllllllll lllllsssssss from Ft Collins to Pueblo.
5. The Front Range is the #1 threat to the lifestyle we choose to live up here.
6. The Front Range is the #1 reason a ton of us get to live up here.
7. Not sure what the “cool guy” attitude is – probably in Summit somewhere. We sure seem to get a lot of the “sweet guy” attitude when visiting the front range.
8. The South Platte is closer to the LA River than any I can think of.
9. The import and export of women is mandatory to keep sanity in a BV winter.
10. When the import of women is out of the question or when there are size issues snow machines and online poker can/will replace the fairer sex for much of the winter.
11. Boulder produces the best entertainment that has come out of Colorado is some while. Rumor up here is that Dr. Churchill will be recruiting (little Eichmans) for the CU football team. This will not help CSU will still win the yearly game.

Yep us “hicks” got mud on our boots from the street and I don’t care. I would be willing to bet that most of the people that we share this great community with don’t either. Not sure how long it takes to drive to work – never felt the need to measure. Funny the little differences that we “Hicks” and the “Rangers” have.

I hate to brag but you know us hicks – Just curious how many “Rangers” are leaving work today at 3:30 pm to ride endless POW lines under the sunset. Then a timberline BBQ and more POW lines under the moonlight. I guess there is a reason that we live up here after all.

Marco can you hear the bell? It is ringin clear.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #29
I hate to break it to you RDNK. But i grew up in central ID. I know hicks my prom date for instatce and you guys in BV are not hicks nor are you cool .

The cool guy attitude as i interpret it is. I moved to Salida so that in it's self makes me cooler than you in X. And i live around world class boaters so there fore i boat better than you from X. It's really just being over the top stoked about you new surroundings. It is probably more of a Vail, Aspen and Breck thing. Stevens post displays alittle of that (please don't take offense Steven) in the everywhere but the SW corner sucks.

That the SW corner of the state is by far the coolest part Is I think fact. But after living there you for a while you come to realize that you leave the boasting to the Chamber of Commerce and don't toot your horn about how cool it is. You have enough texans . I for one will drop a lot of dough in both BV and Durango this year then leave. You should pat me on the back not tell me I suck cuz one of these years the wife will give in and we will move to one or the other places. Just another rich yuppie paying cash for the cool real eastate making it even harder for you to get a fair shake economicaly. And that would truley suck. Again all in good fun sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #30
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Yo sj- I live in Wash Park too....513 S. Penn. Where you at?
My wife and I moved down from Evergreen because her commute was too long. I work in Golden, so 20 minutes out and I can live up in the hills a little ways....we will move out of denver as soon as possible. However, I have grown to like it down in wash park. Friends drop by, food close, music, and yes, it's warm! Plus the housing prices are going up quickly and buying a house is an investment rather than an expense. I have a newborn and if i lived in the mountains, i would have cabin fever. At least I can take my son for a walk year round without worrying about hypothermia. Steven- loved being back to the SW and all the live in one of the most beautiful places i have seen. The reason I live in to pay the bills, security for the family, and a retirement i can sleep on.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote