Old 04-26-2005   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Everything has it's pro's and con's.

For example. Front Range is crowded and smoggy. But it has more females and better job opportunities.

Mountains are clean and not as crowded but there is less job opportunities and woman seem to be kind of scarce.

This pro and con could go on forever! But you shouldn't blame a location for your stress or unhappiness. It's not the mountains fault or the front range's fault, it is just a place and people put the label on it.

just my 2 cents

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #12
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Marko hit it true, as much as location matters in happiness and stress levels, where you live is what you make it. The mountains can be great, lots of skiing and cold water, shorter biking and climbing season but still fun. Quiet and calm, yet not much to do or people to meet if your not the type that will go out and find it. FR is crowded but you can finds you pockets of relative peace, and once into the foothills the smog can be seen left behind. Warm weather, more people in less of a transient mode of life and the relaxing sense of choice which is the summer on the front range is what its all about for the people that don't want the mountain life. Plus your not jumping over muddy walkways in the middle of town.

Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #13
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

I have nothing bad to say about either location.

Front Range is comparitively crowded but one gets the benefits that come with that. More people= diversity but it also = traffic and dirt. I miss all my Front Range friends and the social opportunities they helped provide.
I can still drive down anytime. Plus, i'm sorry folks, Denver really is a big town/small city. Unless you live in the far 'burbs (why?), it doesn't take more than 15 to get anywhere. note: Highlands Ranch is NOT Denver.

We moved ("we" being the operative word- being single in the mts. would blow) into a pretty rare area. There is all the food, culture and art you want in this valley. The price of admission is higher though. Everything costs a little more. It takes committment to make it work. Jobs are tougher to come by in most industries. You either need to come with the gig lined up or be patient and willing to do whatever it takes in between.

We might end up back down there someday. I won't complain (I don't think). I'll ski a quarter as much, though.

I know people get down on the Front Range. I think it's b/c they're not totally committed to where they are. That's the only reason people get defensive about anything. They're unsure.

PS- Denver's air quality IS pretty poor.

just thinking out loud and really wanted to see my avatar
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #14
Bro Bra Blah Blah Blah
Lakehood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 99
Send a message via AIM to K2boater
So to add my 2 cents, I just moved to Boulder (oh, my god) after living in Vail for the past 10 years. It's been a weird transition as I read about this creek running and this wave is up...all I think about is being there.

Then I weigh it out and say oh now you have a paycheck year round and are potentially looking at a better quality of life or am I.

Miss my crew in the Valley
K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #15
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
That avatar rules.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #16

No offense, but isn't Summit County basically a sub. of Denver these days anyhow? I can't stand being up there to ski or do anything outdoors there...there are nearly as many people on the slopes/trails as there are on the sidewalks downtown. I agree that Breck. is a pretty cool place, but I don't consider it a "true" mountain town.

Just my $0.02...and I'm a FRer...
sgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #17
I don't know matty. Although i just said i was part of the front range not Denver. It only takes me 20 min off peak to be Downtown and I go about evryother week for various events. And when the new transport is done. I walk 2 blocks to the bus stop short ride to the lite rail into town. I guess i feel i am part of the city. Eventho i ride south for 3 miles and I am in the country saw 4 mulies and a yearling elk on my ride just now. You are correct tho in the size. I go to Boston and Chicago most every year for family and as I tell them. Cow town yeah but coolest cow town in the world.

And as to why. Commute 7 min to work for my wife in the tech center and Money. it seemed the place to invest in realestate at the time. And my house has appreciated over 150% in the last 10 years. Oh and the school system is one of the best in the west. And it only takes us 1hour and 50 min to get up 285 to out place in Breck no I-70. So lots of reasons but I bet i have a few more kids and about a decade on you so we are diffrent and that is the point of this thread I guess to each his own.

K2boater I never switched freinds or lost freinds when i moved. I boat and ski with the same people I did 20 years ago. Don't give up make it work. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #18
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
well taken...

All points well taken, SJ . You got me on the kids (for now).

I shouldn't talk poorly of anywhere. I'm just really fond of the Wash Park area and everything else feels SO suburban to me. Take that as you will. Your dollar probably gets you 2000 more square feet where you are... I'll try to avoid getting down on anywhere.

Even Peoria has it's selling points (not comparing the Ranch and Peoria).
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #19
And livin in the Virgin Islands was great other than the tourists till it got old too....
But with out the tourists I'd have gone hungry...
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #20
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I chose to set roots in Boulder County just outside of Ned. For me, it is the best of both worlds. 25 minutes above Boulder without all of the associated crime, smog, traffic conjestion, cost of living, tight living conditions, etc. that goes with the city.

However, I am close enough to Boulder for quality employment and business opportunities, public schools, great restaurants, live music, women (look only as I am married), college, cultural diversity, Whole paycheck (Whole Foods), warm weather, and traditional sports, if your into any of those things.

Ned is 10 minutes to Eldora for area skiing. I know a lot of ski snobs might stick there nose up at El dough dough, but there is very good tree skiing, no lift lines, no traffic hassles, lots of tele skiers, great spring powder, and OB opportunities.

You also have Indian Peaks for backcountry skiing, backpacking; climbing; and mountain biking. For boating, you have the Front Range creeks, and many of the major rivers (Poudre, Eagle, Ark, Colorado) are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.

Boulder County also has lots of open space, progressive planning towards the outdoors, as well as property is a good investment.

Ned is still funky and down to earth for the most part. It is changing slowly, however, it will never be a tourist destination like the major resort towns and will hopefully never be as developed as Evergreen or Genisee.

The front rangers that are down on Boulder are probably jealous. For a city, Boulder has a lot to offer and is probably out of their price range. It is out of my price range.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote