Although it is very admirable for you to not want to leave your friends high and dry, you don't have control over whether you EVER get a permit. You might wait years and years. Jumping on someone else's trip would get rid of your extra chances, but it's all a crapshoot anyways. Keep putting in, and have your friends who are committed put in also. In the meantime, go if you can, you might even find a trip with a couple of open spots. Remember, some of those people who are committed will have to back out just because things happen. I don't think you are stiffing your friends by jumping on another trip. If they really want to go, have them continue to put in and take advantage of their 5 chances.
Originally Posted by COUNT
Yeah, I lurked on the other forums for a while looking for openings and people to team up with. The problem I ended up with on all of these was that I had made enough progress on the waitlist that, like jennifer said, I was starting to get good numbers for cancellations. I figured within a couple years my number'd be good enough that I'd have a solid chance at getting a date I wanted. As a result, I started planning the trip. Which means that I ended up with 7 or 8 good friends who were definitely in and I promised them a spot. I'd feel pretty shitty if I left them high and dry and jumped on some random person's permit with one spot. Guess the being prepared and planning ahead kind of bit me in the ass on that one.