Old 11-14-2010   #1
Thinking of Moving to Idaho?

Hey guys my name is Kyle just started paddling maybe a year ago and just started running class IV creeks in WNC. I have been contemplating on moving to Idaho possibly Coeur D' Alene for a year and then to Moscow to finish up with school.

I was jw what the town is like (People, city, things to do, the scenery ect... and of course how the paddling out there is)

If you have any experience paddling, traveling or living out there let me know cuz it would really really help with my decision

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010   #2
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey Kyle, the PNW is a pretty place. Lots of places to put a boat in. Come on over- you'll like it here.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #3
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
All I have to say is the NRS is located in Moscow for a reason... great boating all over the place.
Hannah_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #4
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Of all the places in Idaho, it's hard to understand why NRS is still here; not that I'm complaining. But, it's definitely not Idaho Falls...

I'm not saying the general assessment of Idaho boating is wrong, but the goods aren't close to Moscow. You're looking at an hour and a half minimum drive most weekends with some closer runs when the flows are high. If you expand the circle to a three hour radius then there are definitely some ultra classic options.

The paddling out here is fairly different from southeast creeking. Expect more colder water, fewer people, and lots of fun.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #5
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post
The paddling out here is fairly different from southeast creeking. Expect more colder water, fewer people, and lots of fun.
...uh, and more WATER.
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #6
Boise, Idaho
If you want to move to ID for a year and then reassess, I would move to Boise or McCall. You will be much closer to a long season of paddling. No real creekin' to get excited about though, mainly big pushy western whitewater.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #7
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Boise and McCall have much longer seasons

Like the previous person said, Boise and McCall have much longer seasons with the Payette system being an hour outside of Boise and the McCall being sandwiched between the Payette system and the Salmon. Moscow is a good location for the Lochsa (only two hours away), but in the summer there isn't anything nearby. Couer d' Alene is even further from any sort of consistent boating.
BoiseSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #8
Grand Junction, Colorado
I moved to Boise 4 months ago. There are a lot of things that I love about Idaho and some things that aren't so great.

Cheap cost of living (relative to my home state of Colorado), Friendly people, relatively warm weather if you're low enough in elevation, natural hot springs everywhere, beautiful scenery, your back yard is a wilderness playground, excellent big whitewater opportunities, some form of downhill skiing generally neaby, low population, no traffic

Overall, my favorite state for a lot of reasons

regressive state policies, embarrassing representation in congress, sense of community often dominated by religious groups, obsession with football when whitewater should be the real obsession, democrats are an endangered species (the people who run for office as democrats would be considered conservative republicans in any other state), ranked 43rd state in percentage of population with a college degree, average or slightly below average economic opportunities, and either expensive or sub-par skiing relative to Colorado, and outrageous health care costs.

That being said, I love Idaho!!!!!!!!! Of course this is all my personal preferences. Some people would rate most of my negatives as positives.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #9
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
That being said, I love Idaho!!!!!!!!! Of course this is all my personal preferences. Some people would rate most of my negatives as positives.

Yup, I'm one of those people! I moved from CO to ID 6 months ago.......

We moved here for the rivers (and many other things)....I've been skiing for 30+ yrs and I'm actually excited to pay $40 for a day pass/$200 for a season pass and accept the resorts as being "sub-par" to CO. I'll take less terrain and less gnar over hoards of idiot tourists/foreigners any day of the week.

Politics and religion?? Not gonna touch it. Incredible people here in the great state of ID.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
No boating around CD? BS. It's just not the million-throng users in locations that people from out of area know about. There's nothing big in town, but there's a lot of runs within 2 hours that make for great weekends. Expand that by another hour or so and you've got plenty, especially if you have a passport and can actually travel out of country. There are lots of well kept secrets up in that neck of the woods, not a lot of boaters around.

All of our rivers are runoff though, few dams around here provide for long summer floats. The Clark Fork does provide for year round Class III as long as it is not frozen over, 1.5 hours from CD.

Moscow does have a few options for summer day runs along the Salmon, within 1-2 hours or so?

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote