Old 03-25-2012   #11
Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for all the advice and offers guys! My son just turned 9 this month. I have considered a small ducky for him and thought "maybe that would be an easy learning tool for him to help advance him into a kayak"? Another route i think about on the canoe is even if he decides he doesn't like paddling himself but enjoys riding through the rapids the canoe would be a better option. We took him on his first WW rafting trip last summer and although he didn't really paddle he loved the ride! Another thing i'm thinking about with the canoe is some of my friends like going up to WV to do weekend camping trips and the canoe might be handy for that to pack gear since we can't really get much in our kayaks.

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #12
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I agree with Little Chief. Learning curve on a WW canoe is steep. I've done my share of swimming, especially in the first few years. A ducky would get your son on the water right away with you.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #13
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I would say get a Jackson Dynamic Duo, and trash the WW canoe idea. The learning curve is super steep, and hard enough to keep upright with one person much less two. I would get a Dynamic Duo.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #14
Durango, Colorado
Get him in a "Do it Now" from Fluid Kayaks
High performance kayak | riverrunning capabilities | playboat | creekboat | expedition kayak | Element | Nemesis | Flirt | Spice | Solo series | Donsa | Detox kayaks Contact Fluid Kayaks now on Tel: +27 (0)56-817-2951 | Email: marketing@fluidkayaks.c

I dont think it gets any better for getting someone into whitewater, without having them "trapped" in a kayak.
GorillaBoofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #15
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yup...consider an inflatable.

Originally Posted by little chief View Post
I'm longtime canoeist and it might be blasphemy but have you thought about the alternative of getting a tandem ducky. Reasons behind this is that paddling a whitewater canoe isn't as easy as it seems and less forgiving for mistakes, and who wants a wet and angry wife on the river. The tandem ducky is much more forgiving, basically it is a floating lounge chair, stable and drier than a kayak, takes up far less space in the garage, and is perfect for taking to the lake too, to just float around in. You give up some performance, but I have found the ladies to enjoy a ducky over a canoe. It's your marriage. Just wanted to add an alternative.
Think about a tandem ducky - also referred to as inflatable canoes or inflatable kayaks. I run one similar to the Innova Orinoco and love it! Very capable boat, bomber stable (though flatwater & wind will make you cry).

There are many others out there, too, but none are as stable a platform as this one. And you can carry the gear you need for an overnighter, or with raft support, multi-day.

I ran Deso/Gray in mine...10 days, quickies down the Blue and many weekenders on upper C.

Oh, and it deflates, folds up and fits in a roof-top canvas carrier!

NikonFotoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #16
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Go to - C1 B1! and ask your question there. Its a better forum for someone interested in whitewater canoes and your responses won't be biased against OC2.
Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #17
Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks guys, and i have started looking more into the duckies now. I think i'm gonna try to get a group to go paddle the Nantahala next weekend one day and rent a ducky for my son and see how he does. NOC does rent duckies i assume?
GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #18
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
wait! wait !. the biggest mistake I have seen is putting kids in a situation where they would fail. put him in a double ducky with you or your wife,NOT ALONE. I have paddled the nattie a lot and it is not a place to drop a kid in . I know they saw class 2-3 [really at best a 2 ]but the curves and some of the rocks instream can be a problem . Just relax and do a tandem with him in a duck . Do not get in a hurry . what you do the first few trips will make or break any kid as far as paddling goes.
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #19
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
And yes they rent duckies
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #20
Fort Collins
I would have to agree with the Ranch Man! Start your son off in a tandem ducky with you and/or your wife doing most of the driving.

As a beginner kayaker myself, I have loved it, but my first trips though class II-III rapids have been intimidating enough for me, I don't think my son would like it all.

When my son was 6, we took him in a tandem Aire ducky on some class II on the Colorado R. where I sat in the bow, with him in front of me, and my wife in the stern. He was pretty sacred in every set of waves, but overall, had a great time. My wife and I had a great time too, and it was helpful for us to control the boat, and be there for him if he ended up in the water. I think we will do this with him for a while, or get a raft until he expresses more interest in trying it on his own.

As for longer trips, my brother-in-law who owns the boat used to do overnighters with his dad frequently, so I don't think a tandem would limit you there.

When I have canoed on moving class I water, the canoe felt very unstable to me, but I have been very impressed by the stability of the tandem ducky in clas III+ rapids.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

"If I'm not there, it means I'm dead...or late!" General W.R. Monger
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote