Old 08-22-2010   #11
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
It's not shit talking when it's true. That's called reality, and you can count on me being on the buzz for the sole purpose of embarrassing your pathetic ass for a long time. haha

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Upon further review, I really enjoyed watching the chunk of log floating around with Tom in the first falls hole. If you watch closely you'll see the log in there as Tom drops in, then side surfing next to him. Classic!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #13
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Well Tom, I can say two things. 1st: Never swam outta 1st falls and I've definitely run it more than you. 2nd: The reason you swam is cause you spent too much time shit talking, didn't properly scout the drop, charged too hard too early, hit the right bank and bounced back into the wall. Damn amateur! Psyched for the NF!!!!
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #14
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Great video Kevin. Hope to see you all at Gore. Couldn't make it to Bailey so Tom get in a playboat so I can smoke you for the second straight year.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #15
Boat extraction

I want to know how you got that rope onto that boat. In the video you see someone reaching out with the rope on a stick, then it cuts to a shot of the rope on the boat. I want to know how that was accomplished in case I ever need that trick on the river.
natebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nate, I call it the biner on a stick trick. First, find a stick that is long enough to get to the boat. Then duct tape the spine of a biner to the end of the stick so that the side where the gate opens is at the end of the stick and the side where the gate pivots is towards the rescuer. This makes it so you can push down on the biner with the stick to open the gate on a grab loop, and when you pull the stick towards you the biner closes around the grab loop or rescue bar. Biner should be duct taped well enough so that when you apply downward pressure on the biner that the gate opens instead of the biner twisting around in loose duct tape. Attach a rope to the biner before you go fishing. For shorter distances the entire operation can be handled by one person. For longer distances like this one with precarious footing we had one person holding the rope, and one person backing me up holding my rescue vest belt so I wouldn't slip in (might have had two folks backing me up at one point), and one person working the stick. Once the biner is latched in, you can pull on the stick and it should come out of the duct tape. Then you have your rope binered to the boat and can pull it in.

Had a couple folks tell me that they didn't think it would work, but it does! Can also be a big help for getting to pinned boats in the middle of strong current. Good reminder to always have some gorilla tape in the crew. Its also a good reminder to have good grippy footwear for rescue work. I have the 5.10 canyoneers and they definitely helped me get solid footing on the wet rock.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #17

That was a great descripton of how to set up the 'biner on a stick' trick. Thank you for explaining that to me. Nice tool to have in your toolbelt.

natebone is offline   Reply With Quote