Old 09-02-2005   #1
the muff

hey now i dont know why but the best hole in colorado has been going off for the last 2 months and i have only seen a handful of kayakers down here. whats the deal... no one know about it? well at least there is no wait in the eddy.

overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #2
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Why don't you post even the slightest hint of where you are talking about?

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
oh the good she is.

Overlyworked, You're gonna have some company on Sunday. Cutch and I will be coming down. Is it flowing all day or is the release certain times of the day?

Any beta would be great. I also will have the new WaveSport Project 52 if you want to try it. IT IS THE BEST PLAYBOAT I HAVE EVER PADDLED!!! Seriously! I have been paddling the proto type since July and I refuse to paddle anything else.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #4
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The muff below blue mesa? havent been there cause its in the middle of nowwhere... but its a good hole if I remember right.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #5
A few of us are heading that way for the weekend. What is a good level? How is it now? We were planning on mostly biking, but?
puma2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #6
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
wake up jon water--anyway--i tried to hike down a month ago, but could not find it. i drove down the pine creek fishing access off hiway 50 about a 1/2 mile west of the damn [visual], and hiked down to and along the river and saw nothing--was i close? thanks
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #7
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Wake up???? C'mon, out of all the good information I puke out onto anyone and everyone on this forum, I can't even get any beta on a stupid little play-spot?? It's not like I really care to drive over to blue mesa to surf, but I still might want to know next time I'm in the area.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #8
To get you up to speed...

The Fluffy Muffin runs usually a few hours a day, but not all the time and variable conditions must collaborate to make the spot work (ie: Blue Mesa and Morrow Point must be releasing water...if only Blue is releasing, Morrow CAN back up and flatten the spot out). I have gotten skunked many times after a good long drive out. There is no guage. Water flow here is determined by energy demands in Phoenix...usually people are getting home after work and turning on all their wastefull appliances, so best chances of catching the Muff are between 3 & 5 pm. As the Res. is pretty full this year it is proving to be a good Fluff season (according to some guy from Gunny).

Senor Fluffy is about 1/4-1/2 mi. below Blue Mesa Res. on the Gunnison River.

Go west of Gunni on 50.... pass the end of Blue Mesa res. Just after the turnoff for the dam (right) you will be climbing a hill. Near the top of the climb look for large powerlines. Pull off, right. This is your only chance to get a view down the gorge. If you see a little white strip/foam pile about 1/2-1/4 mi down the canyon the muffin is in! If the water is placid, it aint. Dont go all the way down without looking unless you like hiking your boat alot.

Continue westward about 100 yards more to the Pine Creek trail on the right. At the parking area, hike down the 90+ stairs, put on, paddle down and enjoy a serenly tranquil (and quality) playboating experience. The waters friggin cold too! Playspot is river center...eddy service riv right. Hike out and up....this helps with the ice-water chills.

This is, in my gaper-ass opinion the best playspot in the state (at certain varies alot). But what do I know? I only throw phattily putrid misty-phenix-bunny 540's like totally consistent.

Does that answer your questions?

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #9
ski/kayak bum
i never got in there but can't that thing be nasty if it drops quickly?

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #10
so fluffy has been starting around 130 and has been lasting until 6:00 and sometimes later on week days... its kinda hit or miss on the weekends. Meng is right about the two dams conflicting but the best level is when morrowpoint is sort of backed up allowing for a larger foam pile. but you can get down there and its a small ledge hole or a monster that is almost impossible to get out of. at the right level she forms two rails on the sides making it almost impossible to get out of... but dont worry she will spit you out.... eventually. as of now i have lost three helmets and almost lost a lifejacket. so dont think that she is a small little hole that you will see at your local playpark. the water is really cold and about 530 the sun goes behind the walls and its downright cold in there... well not to bad unless we get our daily showers. so yea its a good hole sometimes and sometiimes it sucks... i have been going down there bymyself so people should start comming down. later

overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote