Old 03-13-2004   #31
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yo durango residents past and present--hook me up

Ahh yeah. The old existential conundrum. I think you're getting pretty good advice overall here. A person doesn't want to live their entire life around the pillars of money and security, but they do get more important with age. Sooner or later it just ain't that funny moving in and out of rental places and getting tagged for the deposit every single time, no. I think the main thing is to do SOME damn thing...don't wallow in indecision real long, or you'll look up one day and see you could have been in and out of another school and done with it, right or wrong, in the same amount of time you've been wondering about it.
My life has shown me that whatever your career passion may be, there's still always this part where it's gonna be work, and you're gonna do it to pay the bills. If you're lucky, you'll enjoy big chunks of it too. If you have anything on the ball at all, you'll learn to enjoy big chunks of work no matter what the work is. Life's fascinating in all it's respects. So I wouldn't fret too much about what your divine life calling might be...pick a fork and head into it. That being said, I'd agree strongly with those opining for the federal gov. as an just doesn't get more stable and benefit-heavy than our Uncle. And a much bigger, and growing, employer, is going to keep right on being all these sick and elderly Americans we got...yeah, the health field. Had it all to do over again, I'd definitely do nursing, for the simple reasons that they're hiring nurses almost everywhere, so you can pretty much pick your town. Excellent bennies in a decade where health insurance may well be unaffordable otherwise. And although it's less noble and exalted than being a doctor, you don't have to pour your entire life into it, either. Plus you actually get to help people, which can be both very frustrating and very rewarding.

Anyway, I just relocated to Durango and am looking for class III to easy class IV boating...when's the season start? Where's it happen? Is it summer yet, is it, huh, huh, is it? Is there anyplace in this damn town a person can afford to buy? Where's the water, huh? Help!

willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004   #32
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
water is in the river

boated from the playpark to my house down by Home Depot yesterday...kinda boney, cold, etc... but hey! it beats nothing.

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #33
I was in a similar position as you when I graduate - a degree in Sociology/Government...but, I shortly found something that in turn, changed my life.

I served as an AmeriCorps volunteer for two years (my program was the NCCC, National Civilian Community Corps) - the requirement was only 10 months, but I loved it, and stayed on.

In my program, I tutored kids in Detroit, did trail reconstruction in South Dakota, worked on two Collegiate Challenges with Habitat for Humanity (Georgia and New Mexico), worked at the Butterfly Pavilions in Denver, served with the Red Cross doing disaster relief after the tornadoes in Oklahoma City, and then followed that with a disaster relief stint with FEMA in North Carolina after Hurrican Floyd.

What I learned from all of this is that there is so much that people can do with degrees in the social sciences, sometimes, it is just a little more unconvential than what you might think (not to mention all the skills I gained doing these kinds of tasks).

Where has it led me? I now work for the Backcountry Snowsports Alliance and am pretty close to finishing my doctorate in Public Affairs (where I study social networks and nonprofits). This has also allowed me to stay super involved in the kayaking community and I've been able to make that as much of a priority as school and work.

It can happen - you just need to be willing to explore the unconventional paths ...Check out the AmeriCorps programs (

Good luck - Danielle
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #34
You should watch the film Monty Python made on the subject and your questions will be anwsered? Probably not, though. Maybe you just have to figure it out for yourself.

If Monty Python had made a film on the Greatful Dead, you think Jerry Garcia's last words would have been "...I think I'm about to have a cardiac arrest!!!"?
Guided By Voices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #35
Hey GBV, I don't know about Jerry, but Bob Pollard would at least have a Budweiser in his hand HOT FREAKS!!!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #36
ski/kayak bum
thanks for all the input, I found a job that could keep me in crested butte for a while. I have also looked at the peace corp and grad schools as options. they are still very much on the table. danielle, where are you studying public affairs? social networks sounds interesting, are you studying social movements as a whole (resource mobalization, political process, Jo Freeman, rational v. irrational behavior), debate hobbes or maybe Domhoff style stuff or institutions as social networks? is the program your in more qualitative or quant oriented? i'm asking because these are questions i'm concerned with in my research agenda. (pol sci connections to economic crisis washington consensus for example and social movements interaction with pols such as in bolivia over water rights)

thanks for the help,
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004   #37
two words

Vision Quest

happy is offline   Reply With Quote