Old 02-27-2011   #1
x, x
Paddling Since: x
The last world record ever to be set...

For vertical fall, and I am willing to bet it can be run. I am serious. I will run it myself, for the right price. read $1,000,000.00. not for the money, but to know my family will be better off if I pass. Why not more? because if I live. I am not greedy, I am alive! read, able to walk, kayak, and ski. and now have the means, and hopeful sponsorship to do so.

anyhow, here you go. (sorry Ben)

Kaieteur Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record. I would be using hand paddles, no doubt. But creeker or playboat? At first I thought creeker.(and will probably go this route)

But why not a playboat? How awesome would that be for me to bow stall a mon-star at the lip of this one, not like we could get it all in focus.

To the sponsors. That 1 mill is going to have to be take home, and there are a few added logistics.

somebody hook me up?

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #2
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Good god. That might be possible. On a waterfall that tall, you probably hit terminal velocity. With that much water falling, the air would be moving too, so terminal velocity would be higher than for normal freefall, but what I'm trying to say here is that it might not be that much worse than palouse.

Or, on the other hand... maybe it would be.

I would do it for $100,000 less than him (so $900,000). Let the bidding war begin.

leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Uh ...ok Bob It is abnormally clean and the pool plenty deep.I bought a map of Guyana,Suriname,and French Guiana [ with portions of Venezuela and Brasil ],there are tons of rivers with marked falls and rapids.The picture on the map cover shows the rapids below that are not in the wikipedia pics.The 81 feet of drop looks like about a 1/4 mile long, so over 300 feet per mile at 23,000 cfs average flow!! I am guessing if you clean the falls you are toast in the rapids .Like I said the map shows dozens of rivers with hundreds of marked drops,several big named falls nearly as impressive as Kaiteur[ not as tall but high flow and gnarlier].These rivers are long and the mountains fairly small so low gradient overall but concentrated in spots.The same map maker made the maps of Belize and a slash could mean a class II unnavigable by motor boat or a drop like the one on my pics without distinguishing between the two.Some feeble drops are even named and monsters unknown.Boating could be interesting there.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
That's 2 for it goes.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I'll hold camera
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #6
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008

The rapids at the base look massive and they start right about when you leave the mist and have a chance at seeing again. The falls looks like it has a chance, but the rapids afterwords look mandatory and staying in your boat is as well. No equipment issues, no performance issues.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #7
really?the rapids at the base look massive?
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #8
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 09
Super solid line on the right. Buck up and huck it. I'll bet Tyler will find something bigger to run after you break his record. Id stick with a creeker my self. If ya fell off line, man it would be gnar.
WildYetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #9
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 09
Man that's nuts. If you exit on the plunge, doesn't look too good for anyone, or die Not realy sure it would set the record. Might hold a record for the most gnar boater ever. Red bull might throw out some coin if you downed a tall boy just before ya go over the edge.
WildYetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #10
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds like it has been run per the wiki article:

"According to a Patamona Indian legend, Kaieteur Falls was named for Kai, a chief, or Toshao who acted to save his people by paddling over the falls in an act of self-sacrifice to Makonaima, the great spirit.
Another legend though was told to Brown by Amerindians in the night of discovery of falls: Kaieteur has been named after an unpleasant old man who was placed in a boat and shoved in the fall by his relatives. Thus the fall was named "Kaieteur" what means - "old-man-fall"

The unpleasant old man wins again.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote