Old 03-18-2015   #11
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Faking the interview is part of the process! You just have to learn to recognize the signs.

"Yeah, it probably wasn't the highest water decent ever, but you know, probably the highest by people not sponsored by red bull."
Translation: this guy cannot roll.

"Oh yeah. I love that run. I feel like I'm finally starting to get to know it"
Translation: not an intermediate. Either a complete beginner or a total badass.

"Oh yeah, that run. Man it's a fun one, but it's easy to lose sight of the dangerous parts"
Translation: either this guy had a horrible swim on that run, or he is a sick expedition paddler.

"Oh yeah, that run. Such a sick run. Reminds me a lot of this obscure creek we ran in the Ural mountains"
Translation: this guy went to the Ural mountains. Otherwise average paddler.

"Oh, that run. Man, I run and go hide under my bed whenever I think of that run."
Translation: you are paddling with Milo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #12
Colorado, Colorado
Originally Posted by leif View Post

"Springwood, huh? Do you know Joe?"
"Ha ha, yeah that Joe guy thinks he's good, but he's actually a total beater. Let me tell you an unrelated story about how awesome I am."
Translation: this guy is a hazard on the river. At putin, pretend to have forgotten an elbow pad so that you don't have to paddle with him.
The old one-upper! This guy is my favorite.

If I'm solo with some unknowns, I consider I'm potentially paddling alone and make sure the run is in my comfort zone. If I'm with a few people I know I don't care who joins, but I rarely have any time constraints.

The real paddling community isn't THAT big in the front range and I feel like someone I know and paddle with regularly knows or has heard of anyone who has been around and paddles class IV. Everyone also knows who that one person is who talks a lot of shit but swims all the time is.

People also have varying stress responses when they're boating. I try to avoid the "freak out" people (fun suckers) but I don't take boating as seriously as some people. I'm confident in solid IV/IV+. I get nervous in V-. Statistically you're more likely to die on the way to the put-in.

BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote