Old 07-24-2005   #1
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
The Jackson Rocker!!!!!!

I have to tell everyone that is interested in a creek boat that the Rocker is the Shiat!!!! Try one for yourself!!!!
I started using it in April and have only had great experiences with it.

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #2
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
now wait a freaking minute

the thigh braces are too soft (they flex way too much)

the bulkhead moves in the early versions (the ones without the hard plastic stiffener)

it leaks (from where I could not determine)

the footbrace cleat started slipping when it got wet

the plastic could be a little thicker

Outside of that, it handles very well and turns on a dime when catching the smallest of eddies. It boofs great

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

Just want to chime in on a couple things...

First off, I am very affiliated with JK, but not a paid employee, just a person who helps out a lot.

There is no way possible for that or any JK to leak. They are 100% no holes to the hull. As a matter of fact JK's are a great way to see if your drytop is still "Dry" for that exact reason.

Thigh braces are VERY sturdy on rockers. The design of the boat puts your thighs very deep into the side of the boat. I wasn't there when you demo'd one, but with the 50+ days I have in both proto's as well as the production boats now, I have never had a sense of them being anything but just right.

I have never... not even once had the foot brace system move. I am curious if what you are commenting on is the 1st second you press your feet on the foot system after adjustment. It does slide an 1/4 inch from when you lock it down. That is simply the rope being grabbed by the teeth of the cleat.

But honestly, I have never had even the ever so slightest slippage. Since the first time I adjusted it I have never messed with it again.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #4
Just tried one out yesterday on baily. The word that best discribes the rocker is PREDICTABLE. Very forgiving, resurfaces are so controled, stable, turns on a dime, effortless rolling. The bow with it's volume and rocker rides high, and the boat boofs easily. The thigh braces and foot brace worked very well for me, and the boat was totaly dry. The only problem I had with it was that it seemed to stall on eddylines. I'm sure this is no problem once you are used to the boat, it just requires a forward stroke when eddying out. Not something I'm used to with my embudo that is much faster. Didn't get it on any big water but I'm guessing the boats length and rocker would make it difficult for holding a good line and for having good speed. Paddles a bit like a Y, but much snappier. All in all I think a very good design for a creeker. Thanks to Marty for lending his boat.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #5
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Hey, has anyone paddled the Rocker and the Jefe? Those are the two I am interested in for next year. The rocker is $100 bucks cheaper retail, but the Jefe got a LOT more r & d time.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #6
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Brian, I spoke with a couple of friends from GA that are die hard LL. They both paddled the gus until the Jefe came out. They said the boat is good but the plastic is VERY SOFT. Not the same plastic as in previous boats. They didn't rave about the Jefe they way they did the Gus.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #7
From a rescue situation, I found the Rocker hard to get to the riverbank even when it had rear flotation bags. I wasn't sure if the boat had float bags in the front but I'd highly recommend putting as much flotation in as possible. Of course rescuing a boat in the Numbers could be a problem for most boats but I really had problems moving that boat trying to push it with my boat while paddling like a dog. It took two boaters working hard to finally get it over to an eddy.

tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #8
sward was just raving to me about his jeffe . give him a shout. I will not pile on I will not pile on sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote