It is no surprise to any of us in the whitewater world that we have seen record water levels this season that have provided much enjoyment to all boaters and water lovers alike.
Unfortunately it is for this same reason that after discussions with BLM and interested parties that we will not be running the Gore Canyon race in 2011. The race was scheduled and permitted for Saturday, August 20th 2011, however with Gore levels still sitting above 3000cfs the probability of it dropping below the 1400cfs maximum required by our insurance providers to run the race is highly unlikely. In addition, based on previous experience, the number of participants who actually race at high water presents a high risk situation in regards to us raising enough money to cover our basic costs.
Do not fear fellow Gore Race veterans and enthusiasts alike. We have a 5 year permit in our possession to run the race, so we are just going to be all the more ready and excited to get it cranking in 2012 and beyond.
In addition, the BLM has kindly agreed to still keep the group camp area reserved up at Pumphouse for the weekend of August 19/20/21, where will will be enjoying the Colorado River from Pumphouse down on rafts, shredders, kayaks, SUP's and anything that floats with all our friends and family and encourage all others who enjoy Gore weekend to join us.
If you need another reason to come up and play on this particular weekend, we will also be there to support one of the members of our Timberline family, who will be raising money to support their young son who was recently diagnosed and is being treated for leukemia.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused any one and wanted to make a decision in due course. Please contact Lisa Reeder email@example.com
with any questions.
Enjoy the rest of the summer and we hope to see you all out there!
~Summer's short, paddle hard, play safe~
-Gore Canyon Race crew