Old 07-12-2007   #41
Leadvillian, Colorado
Mathieu is French, as in lives in France. He is not Quebecois.

Also, the French were booing because of the onslaught of advertising by Jackson at the event.

Do I know this because I am onmiscient? No, I actually READ the article.

EJ is the owner of the most up and coming manufacturer, President of the World Kayaking Federation, an organization he founded, and the reigning World Champion. He has made it his personal mission to restructure the international competition schedule in an attempt to qualify "Freestyle Kayaking" for the Olympic Games. He also has been trying to create his own standard to certify kayak instructors independant of the ACA. He is also universally regarded as a 'world class nice guy' which I also can attest to.

He has virtually become the "king" of freestyle, and whitewater kayaking in general, yet there is dissension in the ranks. Competition, mixed with widespread commercialization, has created some contempt for him and his company. In the article Mathieu alludes to jealousy as a motive for the jeers which he did not personally participate in nor condone.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #42
Denver, Colorado
Don't know if sharing an eddy and borrowing a boat constitutes "knowing" someone. I ran Brush creek with him and his kids in '03 and spent a day on Brown's with him and his kids on a free playboating clinic... and run into the guy all the time because a good friend and main boating partner of mine works for him. I wouldn't say I know him since he meets a few thousand boaters a year.

You obviously haven't talked to him about his roll. No, it is not the C-to-C, but what I call a sweep, and definitely not a back-deck as you stated. It is arguable that it is safer than the C-to-C for reasons that have probably been covered in other posts. Or just buy his video and he'll explain it to you.

There is a difference between bragging and marketing. Would you hide the fact that you are a world champion if you were trying to sell boats to people who may not follow the competition part of the sport?

I've got another case of beer that says he'd still loan your ignorant jealous self a boat even if he bothered to read this troll.

Curios, you happen to have any affiliation with any other boating company?

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #43

EJ is so popular right now that if he was 1) black and 2) had big ears, I honestly think he could give Obama a run for the money.

Don't know him from boo, not a groupie and not trying to defend him, but I think if folks judged themselves with the filters they judged others, the world would be a little better off. At least the French might shut their pie holes more often.

Seems to be a hell of a nice guy and appears to be reasonably balanced. Nobody is perfect.

I only know 2 things about the guy.

1) I watched the finals at Fibark this year (first freestyle event ever watched) and during the semi's, he was getting out of his boat and walking back up for next run. He had not locked it. This gal in late 50's comes up and starts talking some shit about her neighbor's son, daughter's cousin paddled with him 10 years ago and blah, blah, blah and he stood there, looking her in the eye like she was the only person in the universe, never interrupted her and let her shoot her load. Than he thanked her for coming out, said to tell Jimmy Joe bob hi and walked back up river. Impressed the shit out of me. Doesn't take much to be nice but surprising how many folks don't do that.

2) He lived in Brookmont Maryland (old school slalom epicenter) a few years ago across the street from my brother. Lot of the guys in the hood trash talked him professionally and financially. My brother (who could give a fuck about paddling) watched the guy bust his ass day in/day out, be a good neighbor, play with his kids and try to get as many people as he could to kayak all the while not appearing to be making a great living. I struggle with balancing those things and my work. You guys would flame my ass with a flame thrower if I was in his shoes.

As wood shampoo spokeman Rodney King says, "Can't we all just get along?"

mthurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #44
Phoenix, Arizona

met, EJ wouldn't say i know him as well as boof-jock, but he's really nice. heard he has aggressive business tactics which turns off some very small dealers, but seems to have that fixed considering how many jacksons i see everywhere. as far as the back deck roll goes, i think everyone should learn it (after learning a regular roll and becoming VERY comfortable with it)! any further roll techniques will help when you get your body into an unfamiliar body position upside down. (bomb proofing your roll: maybe you should pick up a copy i'm sure you'll love it it's a video by EJ )

the fact is the man is getting it done, i personally like other boats more, but i love what he has done for the sport anyone who skates can compare him to rodney mullen (maybe tony hawk would be more realistic). neither of whom are the best skaters out there currently, but they played a HUGE part in paving the way for the rest of us and we owe them ALOT. EJ has made kayaking more accessible for youth, and opened up alot of doors for alot of people. so cut him some slack on being a self promoter. i haven't heard many people bash scotte lin. for being a self promoter, and the list goes on but i really don't want to start an epic post about self promoters. they do what they can to get paid for doing what they love, not a bad racket. most are just jealous they can't do it that well.
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #45
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

Alright, aside from the EJ haters out's what I'd like to see the Worlds go to.

Wave Freestyle (like buseater) - Amplitude should be huge in scoring, the ride is dynamic and the winner should go huge and be rewarded for it, amonst other scoring elements

Hole Freestyle (Fibark or other similar holes) - pretty much as it is scored now

The events should be different categories.

Craw, if you are reading this a keeping quiet, when are you going to call me back or PM? I want to demo a Rocker. Can you hook a guy up, or what?
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #46
Side issues

I'm not in freestyle, I wasn't there, but frankly I think there's grounds for dissent. From what I've heard:

1. More than half the judges were JK boaters, including the head judge.
2. Christine Jackson had unlimited access to the judging booth
3. The only boater incident where a competitor got a "do over" was a Jackson boater
4. (and this really doesn't get mentioned frequently) EJ hired on Billy Harris to paddle JK a few days before the competition.

What this means to me is that results didn't reflect what happened on the river - there was so much maneuvering done beforehand that in the end the result really only point to who invested the most money into cornering the "labor market" on pro boaters - the whole thing took on a dimension of corporate marketing, not some spirit of international competition like the Olympics. One of the big questions was "where's the American team?" The team manager position seemed to be vacant and nobody noticed till it was in progress.

I personally don't really care, but I don't think these are the kind of antics that are going to get freestyle into the Olympics.

As for the "French Perspective" - I don't buy it. They were jealous? They were drunk? Come on.... talk about someone jockeying for a position on Team Jackson. But then again, who can blame him since that's the only game in town now - if you want to play, you gotta do it by their rules (and unless I'm mistaken, EJ also virtually invented the current scoring system).

EJ is an awesome guy, and a phenomenal athlete. But honestly, if it's a forgone conclusion that Team Jackson is going to win every worlds till they decide not to from now on, how is that going to advance the sport? No other manufacturers are going to contribute to what amounts to a Jackson advertising spectacular - there's no return on investment. Period.

Look at Bliss-Stick - they got Anthony Yapp, one of the most enjoyable to watch freestylists to come along in ages, made a PRODUCTION boat just for him to paddle at the worlds and what happened? No chance. Now they have to pay off a mold by selling a boat that was only engineered for one paddler on one wave. Do you think they'll make that mistake again next time the Worlds come around? Doubt it.

Anyway, that's just my cynical opinion for what it's worth. Frankly I think only time will tell, but I think 2007 will be "The End of the Worlds as We Know it" in the history books.
David Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #47
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Oh, one more thing....damn these Chipotle burritos are good!!!

Same type of guy revolutionized the burrito stand, he had a dream, started out in Denver on Evans, sold out to Mickey Ds to plant a bunch of seeds(but I think he has control again), now Chipotle is like Starbucks in the West and South West. Damn good! Chipotle and Starbucks, a winning combo. Blow ass big time!!
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #48
Boof it like you stole it
G-wood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice David! That's all I'm getting at. When the Jackson Marketing Dept. is judging a freestyle comp, of course the Jackson boaters will get scored well. They are trying to influence an entire sport around their paddling styles, so THEY can go to the olympics.
Paddlers used to be laid back, river hippies! Now it's ego driven, "look what I can do" attitudes that really bring the sport down.
Have I bashed one Mountainbuzzer? no! Just the MAN that's in the spotlight, and that should be expected.
boofyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #49
Phoenix, Arizona
are you kidding me

wow anyone who attributes Eric Jackson to being some part of a Jackson Conspiracy theory has officially lost it. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. of course there are alot of people from team jackson judging, from the history of judging that i've been given most of the older players in team jackson helped write the rules for judging! so obviously they are going to be some of the best people out there to judge. look at the size and caliber of team jackson! they win because they're smart, they have a HUGE roster of some of the best paddlers in the world! if you want to see some one not sponsored by jackson win a comp then i suggest you get your boat in a hole or a wave over 120 days a year and when you finally compete put on a show that is better than anyone else's! half the people i've seen complain about jackson winning everything have never competed in a rodeo in their entire life!

on a happier note, the easiest solution to all of this:
GO CREEKING!!!!!!!!!!!! and i'll see you in the pool below!
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #50
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
If EJ bothers to read this forum, I hope he gets a good laugh, because this is comical.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote