Old 07-11-2007   #21
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tim, if your stroke looks like a "C" you must have some wicked dogleg.

"The better to hit your Gspot with, my dear."

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #22
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
That's the shape of my left hand, oh yeah, not an "O" around the shaft but a "C". This is not out of technique, but necessity.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #23
pnw, Washington
lmao. see how well he worked a size joke in there, thats great. tim is on a roll!
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #24
anybody wanna buy a french paddle - never been used and only dropped once...

nice work Tim, Greg loves the size jokes
kombat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #25
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde

The C-stroke is one of the most efficient and anticipatory ways of turning the bow of the boat. You can use it to adjust boat angle most anytime on the river. The C-stroke allows for maximum precision and speed while turning. Your goal with this stroke is to gain dexterity and coordination in slicing the blade in an arc from your hip to the bow.

You should try this in flatwater since there is no current when you are sitting still on flatwater, any boat movement indicates that the power or back face is being pushed against the water instead of the blade edge. In current, that slows the speed of the boat.

Place the blade out from your hip at a neutral angle. Get the shaft as vertical as possible. Your other hand or top hand must be over the water. The lower hand controls the blade angle and size of the arc. In order to slice the blade in the biggest arc possible, the wrist of the lower hand should curl back to initiate the blade's movement.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #26
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Well you all know the best "size" joke, its the one in your hand.

How'd this thread go south anway??? BSOE, you took it south, and east about 6000 miles. How is Iraq treating you anyways? Do they have a paddle shop next to the roadside bomb making shops? Dumb fanatical fucks! How the hell do you guys make it? That job has to be like trying to keep rabbits from breeding. Thank god you can still post! Send our best to all the US troops. When are you coming home?

gh - we should organize a PPWC party when BSOE gets back.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #27
Phoenix, Arizona

as far as EJ or anyone else having a standard routine, this just seems like the way things are going to have to be for now. the way this issue was explained to me last year was that there are no style points awarded in kayak competitions, it's judged like figure skating. So there are standard tricks that you have to do to even be a contendor.

now, at woodward (extreme sports camp skate, bmx, in-line and actually gymnastics too but thats besides the point) one of the first things they teach you about comps is what you're judged on. mainly 5 things some that should carry over into our judging, but not all do. complexity is factored in, but the size of the trick doesn't make hardly any difference except for with loops head out and head in.

but one thing that these type of comps judge you on is mojo or style integrated into your run. if you have a crowd pleasing run where you throw HUGE you get more points, but in kayaking how into it the crowd is makes no difference.

last year at fibark johnny had the crowd going nuts over his MASSIVE OMFG RIDICULOUS loops, but in the end it was the not as crowd pleasing, but more complex moves that won the judging.

non-athletes of the sport, or beginners (a huge portion of an audience at a competion regardless of which sport) want to see big stuff or stuff they understand. sorry but a phonix monkey doesn't look half as cool as a loop thrown by john.

idk if anything has changed since this was loosely explained to me, or if it was explained wrong. but it seems like the judging is what needs to change and it will make everyone happier.

(besides should we really be trying to make our sport more like figure skating or skate, bmx, in-line, mx, x-games worthy sports)

my $0.02. in any case EJ is an old man comparitively speaking so props to ya man on worlds and hotel charley you're still doin it better than me!
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #28
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
oK here i go

How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

They don't know , they've never tried.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #29
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
If you look at freestyle skiing, there is a category for amplitude. I just assumed that was true of kayaking too. Definitely should be.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #30
pnw, Washington
Huckin, you are right, he was going huge, it was freakin amazing. Thats why I watched the comps and didnt stick around to see who won. I saw the paddling I wanted to see. Man I still remember his ride, damn that was cool.
Tim, lets do it. Maybe I can get an LVM early copy and have a release party for LVM and BSOE.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote