Old 05-10-2012   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The Fluid Bazooka with Lenny Layman

Hey everyone,

If you know me you know I run a Fluid Solo and I'm am a big fan of it. I was asked to post my review of Fluid's new creek boat, the Bazooka, here on the Buzz and also on BoaterTalk. I agreed and so, here it is. I hope this helps a few boaters out.

Lenny Layman
Date: May 10, 2012
Hometown: Fort Collins, Colorado
Favorite River(s): Poudre, Little South Poudre, Ark
Height: 5’11’’
Weight: 160
Ability level: Intermediate (Class IV)
Days spent on the H20 per year: 80+

I have been boating the last 2+ years in a medium Fluid Solo. When I purchased the Solo, I told myself this would be the last boat I would need to buy for a very long time. The Solo was such a great design I think I figured that any new hull design coming out would simply have minimal positive improvements that it wouldn’t really be worth it to purchase anything new. Then, through my friendship with Leif and Natalie, I found myself last Sunday paddling Natalie’s medium Bazooka on the Poudre Park/Bridges run of the Poudre. Honestly when I saw the hull of the Bazooka I thought, cool idea, make the bow more of a creek boat and the stern more edgy, but would I be able to truly feel and discern any significant difference. The new Bionic Outfitting allowed me at the put-in to very quickly customize it to a near perfect fit. I insist on a custom and tight fit in any boat I paddle and with the Bionic Outfitting it allowed me to have an extremely comfortable and tight fit with very little trouble. The new thigh braces contour to the outside of your legs, creating the connection to the boat that adds comfort and increases control. I love the new Bionic Outfitting. Within a few minutes I found myself dialed in and punching holes, grabbing eddys and setting aggressive ferry angles with such an increased confidence that I knew there was something truly special about this boat. I had such confidence running Pineview Falls that I convinced Leif and Natalie to allow me to run it down Middle Narrows of the Poudre the following evening. I am less familiar with the lines down Middle Narrows that I asked Leif to join me. The first drop is Sportcar, a Class IV, and this boat brought me such confidence that even though nervous, I was able to style this drop, putting and keeping my boat on the exact line I wanted. Wow, what a feeling to have the skills to boat somewhat harder water and to be in a boat that brings out the best in you. I believe this is exactly what the Fluid Bazooka has done for me, it brings out an increased confidence to better match my skills and allows me to up my game. The Green Bridge drop, another Class IV, on the Middle Narrows allowed me to evaluate the boofability of the Bazooka and it passed all of my expectations. The biggest difference was how confident and comfortable I felt in the lead-in to Green Bridge which allowed my boof stroke to be much more focused and purposed. The Bazooka surfaces with such stability and predictability, I felt in control and confident that I could make the necessary adjustments when required. The speed of the Bazooka was another surprise to me. I was able to ferry, catch eddys and in my mind, make those must-make moves with such ease and confidence I could hardly believe it was me having this much fun in the midst of the Middle Narrows. The transition hull on the Bazooka, along with its many other design improvements, coupled with the Bionic Outfitting has created a boat that truly brings out the best in my paddling, physically and mentally.

• Initial and secondary stability is incredible.
  • The Bazooka wants to stay upright but also rolls up super easy.
  • The new Bionic Outfitting is superb, very little has to be done to totally customize it to any individual paddler.
  • The Bazooka is super fast and easy to control.
  • The transition hull creates a perfect combination of predictability, control and speed.
  • Honestly the only negative I currently have about the Bazooka is convincing my wife Penny that I “need” a new boat and having to wait a few weeks before I get it.

The Verdict:

The Bazooka is a boat that has increased my confidence to better match my skills. All of us know that kayaking is as much mental as it is physical. Until now I would evaluate my skills being superior to my confidence. The Bazooka is a game changer for me. In the Bazooka I feel that my confidence is at an increased level that it allows me to focus more on my skills and technique and less on my nerves. Being more confident will allow me to focus more of my attention on improving my strokes and technique while paddling more difficult water and less on simply surviving the run. The Bazooka brings out the best mentally and physically. Well done Fluid.

Fluid is a company that you can believe in because they believe in their products and have faith in their customers. In today’s world this is a much needed but extremely rare combination. Fluid’s Customer Service is exceptional. Adam, from Fluid, has worked with me in regards to my damaged Solo and through their phenomenal Warranty Program and with very little time or cost to myself, I will be receiving my new, Made in the USA, medium Bazooka in very short order. My strong encouragement to anyone looking at purchasing a new creek boat would be to do whatever it takes to demo the Bazooka, you will be extremely glad you did – trust me. Then take it one step further, call Fluid and ask them direct and specific questions, inquire about their Warranty Program and give them the opportunity to reveal what they are all about. Exceptional boats with the highest quality customer service and product support. My belief in Fluid continues to strengthen with every interaction I have with them and have no doubt yours will too.

Thank you for reading, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #2
Boise, Idaho
Do you know if there are any Fluid reps in Idaho (or traveling through)? I'd love to demo a Bazooka.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #3
Denver,, exhaustion
i would contact fluid usa.

i just got my new bazooka out for it's first real run. and i would agree that this boat boats really well. boofs great. it really takes creeking to feel how good this boat is. supper stable resurfaces very well/stable.
i will say that the plastic is not the same as we know from the solo. fluid says it is better...time will tell.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote