Old 05-03-2006   #11
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......what did you run? were did you put in?......rowdy shit bud........upper? middle section!?.......lower 5?.........sik ass punk........h3 kicks ass......burn looks gggggggreat......waitin' for one........nfp=REALDEAL

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
1)That's pretty funny if those were actually H3's.
2)Stealth marketing isn't new.
3)I like kayaking.

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #13
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
New or not, steath marketing is still shady. Most of the reps like Hobie, Marty, and Joel have given fair notice when posting opinions about boats. This issue seems to be largely confined to non-shop employees who land a bro deal. The only question is whether or not kurfothich gets a direct hookup from Pyranha or not. That we still don't know. Either way, the Burn does look sweet and I look forward to demoing one.

p.s. One of my homeboys in the SE is NOC's buyer and says that early indicators down there make him think the Burn will be "the Jefe of 2006", referring to how everyone was going ape to get one of those last year.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Johnny, there were 3-h3, 2-y, 1 embudo, and I was paddling a nomad. Forgot what chasen was paddling.

The top 5 and bottom 5 were paddled on sat with bottom paddled twice. Middle was death imo and pretty much everyone I was with agreed. The level was 5500 and was scary. Sun three laps on the bottom 5 by the boys. I'm posting on this because it was weird to hear the burn props and they weren't there, although a pyranha pro was.

Again I did hear the burn is the shit though.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #15
What's up Gar? Sorry I couldn't make it; uh I had to pick the rocks outta my tires???? Sounds huge though ..... I hope you brought your water wings for that sh*t.

Anyways, I just think its funny that kayakers are such f*cking consumers. Its the "I have to get THE new boat every season" mentality that I don't understand. But maybe that's just cause I'm broke.... nah, its more than that! It seems to me that lots paddlers are becoming a bunch of tech-weenies. Do they just want better gear so they can think they are better than they are? Food for thought.

I'm sure the flames are a comin'....

doc rasta
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
So Kurf... do you work for or are repped by pyranha? Don't be shy boy, the Burn is supposed to be a great boat, there's no need to hide your affiliation.
WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #17
Bro Bra Blah Blah Blah
Lakehood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 99
Send a message via AIM to K2boater
this topic has gone to crap. whocares if he is biased toward the P.

The Burn is good! The Burn is crap! (not really)

just go paddle it and make your opinion.
K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #18
Denver, Colorado
Were the Middle and South Forks running? Is the rope swing still on the SF? That rope swing was more scary than the NF for me! Good times, good times. Wish I could make it up there this year.

Anyway, since we're talking about the Burn... did they change the chine from the M3 so it doesn't crack anymore? I really liked the way it paddled, but half the ones I've seen (literally!) had a crack in the chine. And all those fking parts! Like over 100 or something ridiculous. Always nuts or screws rolling around the bottom of the boat. Like paddling a colander.

Disclaimer- I've received two free t-shirts, a sweatshirt, a visor, replacement pillar foam, more than a few bowls, some stickers, and many Sierra Nevada's from Craw (Jackson ambasador), so I'm completely biased.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #19
Don't be jealous just because the Burn is the best boat ever.

Livingston, I think the M3 problem is pretty rare, since I haven't had any problem with the boat breaking on the chine. And I've had a few (yes, I paddle Pyranha).

The parts advertisement may be the worst advertisement in recent history. However, I've grown to love the outfitting simply because its super easy to use and adjust. The backband is so sweet I don't even use hip pads in the M3. If it breaks (which I have yet to see in the M3), you can get every single part from an old snowboard binding rather than waiting for the special order part as with many other companies (one of my favorite retail customer service issues..."I don't know why ____ company hasn't sent the special screw.")

When it comes to breakage, ALL boats break. I average about 40-60 days in a creekboat, relative to what I paddle. Friends that paddle the same whitewater average about the same (regardless of brand). Obviously you can do hundreds of Bailey runs without a boat cracking, but far fewer SSV runs. IMO the number one cause is boats traveling downstream without flotation in low volume creeks. Lesson, use float bags. Or, if on the NF Payette at 5500, just duct tape the skirt to the boat and your hands to your paddle.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #20
pnw, Washington
Hey Rasta, whats wrong with wanting the new shit? I guess since boats didnt change at all for the first 20 years you paddled that you assume they arent changing now? Also, many new people coming into the sport wanting to buy right the first time. I have tried the H3 in the past and want to try the Burn or the Jefe. Yes it makes me a boat whore but it doesnt make it wrong. Seems us 9-5'ers are always taking a hit from the free timers. While the 9-5 does have its downside, I can afford boats and as a dodge from my job I read posts about the new boats. Technogeek, sure.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote